| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lindley & Jackson Browne in Denver
Dwight Mark

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 3:59 pm    

It's just not right folks...
I bought tickets to Jackson Browne this weekend in Denver, and then there's a new world music festival in Denver and David Lindleys a headliner, but they didn't post the time that David would play. It turns out they're playing at the same time about 30 miles apart. It's just not right to have them both in the same town and not play together...

I guess I'll have to bring my Weissenborn, lapsteel and bouzouki and fill in at Jackson's concert... hehehe...
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 9:24 am    

I think that they should do a tour together again...I love it when they play together. David Lindley is why I play lap now!!!
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 9:36 am    

Quote:
David Lindley is why I play lap now!!!

Me too ... more or less.

However, given the choice of seeing Mr. Dave or Jackson Browne (w/o Mr. Dave), I'd choose the former in a heartbeat. Although if Dwight sits in, it might be two or three heartbeats ...

I notice that Greg Leisz plays steel on one track of Jackson Browne's latest album -- has anyone heard it?

[This message was edited by Russ Young on 11 June 2004 at 11:43 AM.]

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 3:23 pm    

I caught Jackson(solo) the last 2 times that he came to NC & it was magic...one of the best song writers ever...
Also saw him on the running on empty tour with full band & Lindley...that was unreal.
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 5:47 am    

"David Lindley is why I play lap now!!!"

And me too. The steel part in 'running on empty' is what made me want to play.

The old masters are incredible, but it's Lindley and Leisz who inspire me most.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 6:05 am    

I remember the first time I saw (and heard) Lindley play, it was a Browne concert that was aired on TV over here sometimes in the mid seventies (it was also my introduction to the music of Browne)..
At that time I didn't have a clue what a lap steel guitar was, and I was blown away by the beautiful singing lines coming from this longhaired gnome-looking figure hunching over that funny little 'slide' guitar.
I have no idea why it took me more than 20 years to start playing one myself, because I've been a Lindley fan ever since (I've played plenty of bottleneck slide in those years though...).

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 12 June 2004 at 07:06 AM.]

Dwight Mark

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 8:02 am    

David's response to me in an email was simply:

Murphy's law. D.L.

We'll I've been fortunate enough to see David a few times and have only seen Jackson once when Lindley, Shawn Colvin, Bonnie Raitt and Bruce Hornsby toured together, so I guess it's time to see Jackson anyway...
Steinar, I actually have the old video of Jackson Browne on Soundstage from 1976 - exteremely poor quality, but the songwriting and production with all the different instruments is incredible.
Well, it will be 73 degrees today at the outdoor show, so it will be a perfect day to hear some great music.

Oh, I just looked at Lindley's site and he's got three shows playing with John Hiatt in July... That would be great! Why can't he be playing with John next week here in Boulder. A friend gave me their tickets to John...

Karl Oberlander

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2004 12:13 pm    

Dave Lindley is the reason I'm playing lapsteels now too! What a co-inki-dink! I was inspired by the Runing on Empty tour as well. We saw them in San Antonio at the old Municipal Auditorium. Not a great house for music but they did a great job on stage.

The stage as I remember was wide open with a giant Oriental rug in the middle where Browne's mike was and to the right of him was an old rocking chair that Dave L. sat in to play lapsteel. Everything was just so comfy and the whole crowd just got into it great. Great show. Second or third best I've ever seen behind the 1972 Loggins and Messina concert and the 1968 Jimi Hendrix concert at the same place. WILD!

Those were the days boys! I can't even stay up past 10 now I'm so old! *8^D

Kobe

------------------
Gibson D-8 Console Grande - Stringmaster T-8 - Alkire EHarp D-10
Fender Super Reverb
kobe@austin.rr.com
http://home.austin.rr.com/kobeco

[This message was edited by Karl Oberlander on 13 June 2004 at 01:13 PM.]

[This message was edited by Karl Oberlander on 13 June 2004 at 01:14 PM.]

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2004 2:08 pm    

Another vote for Lindley as the reason I play lap steel. If I could only get that "Running on Empty" tone...

Did anyone else see him during the El Rayo-X days? I caught him at the Bayou in D.C. when he was touring to support "Very Greasy" An amazing sound, an amazing band and a great, tight show. And man, is he funny!

Steve Haws

Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 7:08 pm    

This thread is a couple months old but I happened on to it and thought I would resurrect it. I had the fortune to spend 10 minutes with Davis Lindley 1 on 1 back stage after a show he opened up for John Hiatt in Scottsdale, AZ this past weekend. I too was motivated by Mr. Dave's style and tone on many of the early Jackson Browne recordings. I specifically ask him about the gear he used on the live "Running on Empty" recording. He used a Rick Backlite through a custom designed Dumble amp (which I believe are going for $10K+ today). He commented that he wished he still owned it! In the studio he mostly used a tweed Fender Deluxe. His performance was inspiring and an interesting guy to talk to.

Crazyhorse..... '54 Fender Champion Lap steel / Industrial Guitar Freight Train Frying Pan / 50's Gibson Maestro Amp
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 8:11 pm    

I'm glad you brought this thread back, Steve -- because Dwight Mark deserves kudos for his new CD, "Soul's Engines."

Dwight not only owns a dizzying array of instruments -- Weissenborns, mandolins, mandolas, mandocellos, guitarras, a Rick lap steel, a dobro, a "mini-Tele" and an electric sitar, among others -- but he can play them all, too. (Couple this with his songwriting and singing abilities, and I'd hate him ... if he wasn't such a likeable soul.)

Great work, Dwight!

[This message was edited by Russ Young on 09 September 2004 at 09:19 PM.]

Tim Tweedale

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 9:06 pm    

Yeah, I'm glad you resurrected this thread. It's pretty incredible to see how many steel guitarists David Lindley has inspired. Add my name to the list too. I was 19, and learning to play bottleneck slide when I heard official Bootleg #1. I immediately bought an Hawaiian nut and stevens bar, and became obsessed with that beautiful album (which is still one of my favourite albums of all time). I remember spending about eight hours one day transcribing the whole solo, (both solos, actually) from Bon Ton Roulie... Learning Rag Bag was really huge for me too. Eva Braun... Play It All Night Long... Tiki Torches... I treated every song on that album like a lesson from a master, which they were, learning everything I could from all of them.
I love how long he solos for on that album too. He'll just go off for two or three minutes... complete harmonic and melodic freedom. You really sense the delight he had in those early days with Hani Naser. I remember a guy telling me at a Lindley show that he saw Lindley and Naser play pretty much all night one night on Hornby Island (pretty near Vancouver BC), shortly after the duo got together... lots of pure improv, and feeding off each other's ideas.
David Lindley has taught me so much. His improvisational ideas are so beautiful, logical and clear, his intonation and rhythm so exact, and his approach to everything (!) so unique. Though I have met him only once (and very briefly), I consider him to be one of my greatest teachers.

-Tim
Dwight Mark

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 9:26 am    

Russ - thanks for the plug. I just added more mp3 downloads of the songs with Weissenborn specifically to the webpage.

A few years ago, David was surfing the web and came upon my website and he sent me a nice long email about my wacky instrument conversions and gave me string suggestions. Then a couple years later I met him at his show and he remember me and my website and commented that it kinda led him to do a few more overdubs of instruments on his last CD vs. the solo instrument with Wally behind him. I still think it's amazing how much music comes out with just him on one instrument and Wally backing him up.

Dwight