| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro Pickup Thoughts
Tim Tweedale

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 9:12 am    

I was in Calgary over the last week, and I stopped in at the Long & McQuade guitar shop there. After inquiring about pedal steels I was directed to the guitar tech there, Tim Griffin. We got to talking about pedal steel, and he played me a really cool Jeff Bradshaw recording and showed me a couple of really crazy steel guitars he had in his shop (more on that later. Pictures also). But he also mentioned that he had built a dobro with a Fishman pickup in it. He let me play it, and it was a really good sounding instrument - dreadnought shaped body which I think gave it a really long sustain (big shoulders on that instrument). But I was really interested to hear the sound of the fishman pickup. So we took it to the acoustic room and plugged it into a yorkville acoustic amp.
It is very very live. Anywhere you tap on the body translates into sound; knock on the headstock and you hear it. If you are playing with a bass player and drummer, I would imagine this becomes a feedback monster. The sound is clear, which is good. It is not muddy and indistinct like I found the McIntyre to be. I'm still shaking my head over that pickup, asking myself "was it me? Did I do something wrong? Could it have been placed better?" But here's the real question: does the fishman pickup make a dobro sound like a dobro? And the answer is no. It sounds pretty much like a regular guitar with a piezo pickup, and if that's the sound you want, why not use that? In some ways it would be better for sound reinforcement than the Lace pickup because it is a little bit less harsh sounding, and would blend in with the miked tone better. In fact, I'd really like to hear a recording of that.
Having done a solid week of performances with my dobro, I am very happy with my setup - about 70% mic and 30% Lace. The mic, a Shure Beta 98/Super Cardioid mini condenser on a gooseneck that clips onto my dobro, has a really good polarity that rejects feedback very well. And the ART tube preamp warms up the tone nicely and allows me to boost or cut the level when I need to.
I'd like to hear about the Schatten pickup and also the Highlander, from people who use those. The banjo player in the band we were opening for had a really good sounding Schatten pickup in his banjo. I wonder how their technology works for dobro.
Anyways, that's all for now.

-Tim
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 10:29 am    

Tim I have the schatten in my 60D and I love
the sound. I sell all their pickups and they
all have a natural sound. The dobro sound is
full and rich. Not just the honk. I highly
recomend the whole line.
Tim Tweedale

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 12:01 pm    

Seriously? I would love to hear that. Is there any way you can make a quick recording of that using your computer? Anything you can do to that end would be hugely appreciated.

-Tim
Bill Blacklock

Powell River, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2004 9:08 am    

Tim, I've been fighting with a McIntyre pickup in my dobro for about five months now. I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for drilling a hole in my "Tut Taylor" dobro for that thing. Schatten pickups have a 30 day money back guarantee and no holes required, how can you loose. Im going to try the Schatten/dualie in my soon to be buit baritone weissenborn, Im hoping it will add less colour to the sound then the Sunrise. Good luck,Bill
Jim Simon

Moses Lake, WA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2004 3:52 pm    

My 2 cents. Hope it helps. I called Mike Aldridge of Seldom Scene after hearing his Old Train album. His sound was 10+. Mike said that it takes a combination of magnetic, transducer and mic to capture the sound and be able to compete in a live situation. I used the floating neck pickup from a Gibson Johnny Smith and tried various transducers. Never did sound like Mike. Could it be the picks I used?
Craig Prior

National City, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 7:41 am    

Quote:
Schatten pickups have a 30 day money back guarantee and no holes required...

Bill, that's true about the no holes required. But without the holes, it means running a wire out of a screen hole and down the front of the instrument.

I drilled out the end pin hole and set the jack in there - actually, a bit heavier duty jack than the one that came standard with the Schatten (I got one through AllParts).

I'm quite happy with the Schatten because it sounds exactly as I expected: like a pickup. A pickup/mic combo is probably the best strategy for getting a true resonator sound, but in a live situation with bass and drums, that's got "feedback" written all over it.

Craig.
Tim Tweedale

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 10:51 pm    

I've been able to get my dobro pretty loud with no feedback, playing with a loud drummer and bass player. I go about 70% Shure Beta98s/c (super-cardioid) on a gooseneck attached to the coverplate and 30% lace sensor. That's the mix in the mains. On stage, most of what I hear of my dobro comes from the lace sensor pickup going through my amp. That way I don't have to battle feedback from my mic through the monitors.
As I recall, that's what Kevin Post (Terri Clark's dobro player) uses too (different mic, same idea).
Mic reinforced with Lace is the way to go!

-Tim