| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stereo vs bridged mode on power amp
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 5:10 am    

For PA applications, has anyone used a power amp with the bridged mode vs the stereo mode. I know the bridged mode is mono with twice the power, however the bridged mode seems to be just slightly different than the
stereo function in the amp.

Any thoughts as to preference?
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 7:59 am    

The bridged mode connects both inputs together and both outputs together. You only need to connect to channel one input and connect one speaker to channel one output.
If you want to control the channels independently (volume and/or EQ), connect to both inputs and connect two speakers. ....JD
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 11:07 am    

i've never understood this but some bridged mono rigs claim only a moderate increase in output rather than the full double. I believe (but won't swear to it) that my Mosvalve 2 x 80W power amp claims just 100W mono when bridged.

As to the perceived difference between running mono or stereo, 200 watts is not twice as loud as 100 watts. So don't be expecting a difference as dramatic as that.
Clark Frady

West Columbia, S. C.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 6:20 pm    

I run power amps in the bridged mode in my band, however, there are a few things to consider. One, is the amp able to be bridged to 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms. If only 8, then you can only connect one 8 ohm speaker unless you have 4 ohm speakers and then you can use two in that case. Most power amps put out the full load at bridged mode. IE: my QSC 1850 will emit 1800 watts (full power) at 4 ohms. I connect two 8 ohms Peavey SP118 subs on the red binding posts (polarity matched + or - ) and use channel one ONLY as the volume source, turn channel two all the way down for maximum power. Some amps may be different and the manual shows what to do in that case. I hope this helps...

------------------
Clark Frady