| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Different size speakers combined?
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 8:14 am    

Anyone use a pair of cabinets with two different speaker sizes for you rack rig or extension cabinet setup?

Seems like it's a discussion between 15s or 12s, why not one of each?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 9:46 am    

Hi Nicholas, I use a 1203 and 1501 BW in a Mosvalve/Tubeworks stereo rack configuration. I have the Blue Tube II pre and the RT921 Real Tube Reverb unit which makes it more convenient for different speakers since it has seperate eq sections for ea. stereo side. I'm loving the contrast with the 2 different speakers. I just played our Steel Club last Sun. with this rig and the folks just raved about how good it sounded. I have used 2 different types of 15 JBL's together, a 1502 and a 1501 together in this rig, but the 12 and 15 combination give me the best sound. I also sometimes noodle around on a standard 6 string and I use a CatCan too. The 12 seems to tighten up the bottom end with those 2 instruments.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 11:04 am    

Gibson amps, like the GA50 came with different size speaker combinations in the early '50s.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 3:44 pm    

The last couple of years I was gigging before I retired, I was using a Digitech effects unit and went stereo out into my Nashville 400 and a Peavey Studio-Pro 50 with a 12" JBL.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 3:50 pm    

I used to use two 12's and two 15's, but I discovered that the rig sounded tighter without the 15's.
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 4:13 pm    

I have replaced the K130-4 JBL in my Webb 614E with a 1203-4 BW. All the power and bottom end you could ever use and a much much sweeter sound....IP

------------------
Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 4:45 pm    

I use a sterio amp the Line 6 plus wich is 80 Watts a side into a celestion 12" and a JBL d130 in a seperate cab. Love the combo of these speakers for guitar or steel.

------------------
Mullen S12
Acoustic 165 100W tube
71 Tele, Regal 45, Gretch
Lap, Columbia Lap, Sho Bud S10 lap, Line 6 flextone 3, JBL d130,
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 7:21 pm    

After always using 15's in JBL, BW, & Eclipse, I have found the best sound to come from two BW 1203's. I tried mixing with a 15 & a 12, but I wasn't able to acheive an "even" sound. One would be surprised at the low end response and very crisp highs with the BW 1203's. I currently use 2 of these with a Tubefex and Carvin DCM 600 power amp. I think I finally found "that sound!"
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 10:17 am    

How about PA cabinets with a crossover and horn? Anyone tried that?
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 10:23 am    

I always use two dissimilar speakers in my cabs. I have one cabinet with 2X10" Celestions and an E120 (JBL) and a 2X12" cab with an E120 and a Celestion Century. I greatly prefer using two different sounding speakers, and especially like having a speaker which isn't a JBL type, because a Celestion type works a lot better for rock and roll. Even for clean playing, the sound is just 'bigger' than when using two of the same speaker.

b0b, I used a PA type cabinet once. It had a crisp high end which was kind of interesting for about 5 minutes, but by the end of the night I hated the thing.

------------------
www.tyack.com
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 10:40 am    

One of the advantages of using 2 different sizes or 2 speakers with different voicings, is that it results in more of a stereo image due to the different sonic qualities. The stereo reverb mentioned in my earlier reply gives me complete control over each side and allows me to make any balancing or volume changes I deem necessary. If you do not have this capability, this task can be a tough one.
b0b, I don't recall ever hearing anyone play through PA speakers, but I know someone that uses a keyboard amp with a horn. Not my cup 'o tea....too much high end sizzle.
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 3:36 am    

For several years I used a combination of a 12 inch and a 15 inch speaker setup. One was the EVM-12L and the other was the EVM-15L. The other combination I have used was a JBL K series 12 inch and the EVM-15L.

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 8:28 am    

The sound man usually doesn't like to mike two cabinets.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 11:20 am    

I`ve been using two different 12s (an 80w Celestion and a 70w Jensen) in separate Boogie cabs for a couple of weeks now and I feel that the stereo spread sounds wider and the tone of my rig is bigger that it was when I used two identical Celestions . I might feel different next week , though...

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Jaim Zuber

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 2:57 pm    

Close micing 2 different sized speakers will work in a recording situation (where you can pan them L/R away from each other), but any live sound engineer who will send them both through a mono mix hasn't done their homework.
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 5:40 pm    

Well, at the moment, it's basically my amp in the room... the mike could hit the 15 if needed, and I'd use the 12 for a pseudo monitor. this isn't in really big rooms, so I'm usually just amping into the room without PA assist.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2004 6:28 pm    

In my experience two of the same speaker gives you a more focused sound, whereas different speakers give a bigger, more 'dimensional' sound.

My friend Andy Marshall at THD amps collected dozens and dozens of tweed Bassmans (4X10") years ago when he built the first 'beautique' tube amp. He says that everybodies favorite speaker cab(no matter which amp was plugged through it) was an old beat up bassman with 4 dissimilar 10" speakers. It was something like a Utah, a Jenson, a Radio Shack, and a JBL. He said