| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Magnatone Lyric Owners?
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 9:22 pm    

I've noticed in peoples' tags that at least a couple people have these 50's Magnatones besides me. I am getting a sitar tone out of my 1956 D8. Mine is the style that has the 1/4 round bridges that are held in place with 2 wood screws. I tuned up tight to match a recording the other day, and I started getting severe sitar-itis. On inspection, I noticed that the bridge had rolled forward, toward the pickup. There was probably 0.025" gap at the rear. This was causing the string to come off of the rounded part and not break cleanly over the sharp edge of the bridge, causing the sitar sound. I temporarily fixed it by stuffing some shim stock under the front edge, but it is not cured. I noticed that the wood screws holding the bridge on are a little bent. I straightened them, but it doesn't help. It seems like the holes in the wood are slanted too far forward. The other neck which I don't use yet (brain overload) seems to do the same thing. Has anybody else found a cool fix for this, or should I experiment with filling in the screw holes and redrilling them at a better angle? Or better yet, get a triangular brass bridge made and slip it in there? (the string tension would then hold it down and the triangular shape would keep it from rolling).
Any suggestions? If need be, I can post a photo.
Thanks in advance. I know there are an awful lot of knowledgable guys around here and I look forward to hearing any ideas you might have.
Oh, if it matters, I'm 'playing' it in High C6 GECAGECA thin to thick. I'm too green to leave out the quote marks around the word 'playing'. Maybe in another 100 years or so...

-Paul Arntson

[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 12 August 2004 at 10:24 PM.]

Al Sato

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 9:51 pm    

Hi, Paul. I'm sorry I won't be able to help with your problem but I had to chime in because I also have a Magnatone Lyric D-8. Mine's in wonderful condition, the only problem being rust spots on the legs. I don't have the same problem you do. These old Magnatones have good sound and are overall pretty nice guitars. I hope you get good answers to your query.

Al
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 5:12 am    

My D8 Magnatone isn't a Lyric model, but looks like the 1949 D8 Magnatone model pictured in Lorene Ruymars Hawaiaan Guitar book. I have a different problem in that the guitar's inside neck third string pickup polepiece is a tad too high and makes the string dead from the 13th fret up.I'm goiung to put a fine file on it to lower it to match the other pole pieces magnet height.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 8:01 am    

Here's mine ...

Its bridges are large "quartered circle" pieces of aluminum that are held in place by string tension ... butted against the wooden pickup case.

It's nuts are in slots and are held in place by tension also .. . butted up against the lucite fretboard.

I've seen others that are more "modern" ... but this primitive rascal is a real nice sounding steel !!!!

I always assumed it was a "Lyric" ... but according to this Vintage Guitar Article ... it's pre-Lyric .

Not bad for $125 ...

------------------

HorseshoeMagnets

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 13 August 2004 at 09:46 AM.]

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 10:22 am    

Hi Guys!
Thanks, Al. Yes, I think these are one of the better bargains out there in terms of sound for dollar. Good to hear from you.

Nice photo Rick. Mine looks just like yours except the pickup covers are contained under the hand guard, mine says "Lyric" under the fretboard, and there are "Magnatone" decals on the tuner covers. I guess since they shortened the pickup covers, they had to screw in the quarter rounds. I have seen photos of one that had an epiphone style integral string "claw" and bridge. The nuts on mine have a piece of threaded machine screw in the center that sits in a hole to keep it in place. It looks like they just screwed a screw into a blind hole in the aluminum and then snapped the head off.

Nice job on the price. Mine cost all of $350. One leg has all the chrome peeled off. Black electrical tape makes a nice interim solution.

Kevin - Before you carve on your pickup, you might consider just shimming under the bridge. Mine has factory shims and the only thing I could guess is that it had a similar problem.

As I mentioned before, another solution might be to stash the original bridge for posterity and make a slightly better one. I bet brass or aluminum would work equally well. I've been thinking about a triangular piece of hardwood with a piece of bass fretwire or brazing rod in the top.

I love the tone on mine, too, but the sitar effect is pretty difficult to live with.

Well, just thought I'd check. It's fun to talk to others who like these, too. They are pretty primitive but that's part of the appeal. They somehow remind me of the government housing we used to live in in the 50's. Thanks, gentlemen.

Anybody else have one of these they want to discuss similarities or differences?

-paul arntson
56 Magnatone Lyric D8,50's yellow Fender Champ, 37 Epi Horseshoe Art Deco, 51 Blue MOTS straight-sided Magnatone. Still lookin for a 49 MOTS Dickerson to match the MOTS amp I've got.

[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 13 August 2004 at 11:25 AM.]

Al Sato

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 10:46 am    

How are you guys dating your Magnatones? I have no idea when mine was made but I'm assuming it was a '50s kind of thing.
Keith Grubb

Petaluma, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 10:59 am    

I've got a triple neck Maestro that looks similar to the above picture. The middle pickup has at least one pole piece that is higher than the rest. I had thought of filing it down as well. I bought mine a few years ago for $300 and I think I've spent about another $300 to fix it up. I need to replace the tuning machines one of these days because I've had two break and I know there are more to come. The tuners are four-in-a-row, which I think would be hard to find. Have any of you guys replaced the tuning machines?

Keith
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 11:06 am    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 19 Jan 2018 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 6:15 pm    

Keith - I was just down in your neck of the woods last week. I bought an amplifier from the guys in the little music store on the corner in downtown Ukiah. The tuners on my Lyric feel a lot like mandolin tuners. You might check the spacing and post length. They certainly feel like they are about to fail on mine, too. Let me know if you find a good source, OK?

Al & Jeff - http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=132
is the link posted by Rick above. That is the same article I have used to get my info. My guitar is referred to in the very last paragraph. I'm not sure about yours, Jeff. I did see a picture of one on the web somewhere in the last year. Might have been yours?
Beautiful guitar! I think that one looks more like a stringmaster than the single pickup models. Does it sound more like one, too?

-Paul Arntson

[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 13 August 2004 at 07:17 PM.]

Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 7:14 am    

Paul , thanks for the smart tip on shimming the bridge. Some weeks back I talked to Jerry Wallace about rewinding the pickups.
Two things I like about the Magnatone
D8 are the bright clear fretboard design and the comfortable 3/8th's inch string spacing. The tuners do feel a little iffy although mine still work fine.
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 7:48 am    

Here's mine, a '55 Maestro:

Back to front, A6, C6, and E13th

HEAVY!!!! 56 lbs in the case.......

[This message was edited by Jay Fagerlie on 15 August 2004 at 08:50 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jay Fagerlie on 15 August 2004 at 08:51 AM.]

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 11:55 am    

Wow Jay! That thing shore is purty!
Thanks everybody for all your info. I do like seeing pictures of other Magnatones.
What I wound up doing yesterday on my D8 was to make a new bridge as a drop in replacement for the cast aluminum. That way I don't alter the guitar and the sitar tone goes away. What I did was run some oak through my router table with a couple of different bits in it to make a real blocky bridge that won't tip. I extended the front side all the way up to the pickup cover. I got some 3/8" aluminum rod at Home Depot and used that for the bridge. No more sitar sound. The old bridge goes in a baggie in the case for posterity. The only trick was getting the grounding up through the wood. I used some copper foil tape and drilled a hole up under the aluminum. Plus I have enough routed oak left over to do the other one if it becomes a problem (probably will - it's tipping.) I match drilled the mounting holes and threw some small screws in there just for stability, but it doesn't really need them. If I had it to do again, I'd probably leave them off.

This is my first try at posting a picture. Hope it comes out...
Thanks all for this great exchange. Anybody else have cool variations on these great old guitars?

-Paul Arntson

[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 15 August 2004 at 01:21 PM.]

[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 15 August 2004 at 01:23 PM.]

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 1:50 pm    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 19 Jan 2018 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2004 5:26 pm    

Thanks Jeff
I took it to one of my infrequent lessons with Pete Grant....it sure was nice hearing someone who knows what they're doing play the thing!
I think per an earlier topic that the 2 necks were all Lyrics and the 3 necks were all Maestros...but then again, I might be mistaken....wouldn't be the first time....

Jay

------------------

J.L. Fagerlie
- email: jayster@scaryoak.com - website -
1963 Fender 1000, 1955 Magnatone Maestro T-8, 1947 National Grand Console D-8 ,1948 Gibson BR-9,‘60’s Melobar Acoustic