| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  65 Twin got dropped
Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2004 6:58 am    

Last night after the gig my 65 Twin Reissue got dropped on its face. Now when I touch the plug to the input jack I get static or a slight squealing sound. Also, the squealing also occurs intermittently when playing. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed or what the problem may be? Should I take it to a repair man and if so, who? I live near Houston, Texas.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2004 7:26 am    

After making sure it's not just a loose tube or a bad reverb tank connection, I'd just take it to the shop. There's very little you can do yourself unless you're versed in high voltage circuitry and printed wiring boards.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2004 11:08 am    

Allen, it's probably nothing too serious.

One of my "original" 1960's era Fender amps came off the luggage rack on the roof of an automobile traveling 60 mph on the way to a New Years Eve job, bouncing off the asphalt highway and embedding itself in a barbed wire fence! The fence probably saved it by serving as a shock absorber.

Unbelievably, it was still in one piece and I powered it up by bypassing the fuse and played the job with it that night!
www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 15 February 2004 at 11:10 AM.]

Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2004 1:37 pm    

Thanks Gene. That's a bit comforting. Mine only fell out of the back of my Explorer.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2004 3:03 pm    

There is a big difference between the new and old Fenders at the input jack. The old ones have a couple wires and are practically indestructable or easily fixed. The new ones are connected to circuit boards that crack easy and need to be replaced if damaged. It means ordering and waiting for expensive parts that need to be installled properly as opposed to bending the little thingy back. I'm not sure if the reissues use circuit boards though.

Bob
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2004 8:09 am    

If not tube or part damage, it could be either broken solder joints or a cracked circuit board. Many times a circuit board can be repaired, without having to replace it. It all depends on the amount of damaged traces at the crack, and their density. I've repaired many cracked circuit boards by soldering buss wire across the broken traces.
Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2004 8:31 am    

Thanks Michael, Bob and Donny. I have located a tech and will have him look at it tomorrow. Hope it is not too serious as I really like this amp and would not want to have to replace it.
Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 9:33 am    

Well, I got it fixed. Turns out that I probably jarred a couple of tubes, specifically the preamp tube and the reverb tube. Leon Miller at Evans Music in Houston did the repair work and he did a great job of analyzing and fixing the problem. The amp works great now. By-the-way, Leon is a pedal steel player. He plays a 12 String Sierra. Says he knows Bobby Bowman.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 5:33 pm    

Leon is a friend of mine. He is a great Fender amp tech! He is also capable and well trained on digital equipment repairs. I see him in Dallas almost every year. You will not find a better or more honest repairman than Leon!!!