| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Mike Brown about N-112 vs N-1000
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 7:23 am    

Mike,
Everyone is rantin & ravein about the great sounds heard from the Nashville 112. Now, my question is, Can you guys at Peavey design a modification for the N-1000 to make it sound that good. Many of us who bought N-1000's are disappointed with them. I've got one I bought brand new 4 years ago and hardly ever use it. I had a Nashville 400 I played through for 16 years and thought it sounded better than the 1000. If the N-1000 sounded more like the N-112 but with bigger range for it's size I might use it more often. I don't really want to get rid of it because it's like brand new. I find myself rotating between my Webb & my Fender Twin Reverb. I know my 1000 is a good Amp but it just ain't got that sound like the little 112's. Nick
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 12:28 pm    

I bought a nashville 1000 a couple of months ago. I have been using a Session 400 for 20 years and love it. I bought the NV1000 just cuz I wanted a second amp and I got a good deal. I hated it. It didn't give me the highs i was used to and I was ready to get rid of it. I posted on the Forum and got a lengthy response form Mike Brown at peavey. He explained tome about the Post EQ and Pre EQ and how it should be set up. When I tried his method of wiring the steel as well as the effects and volume pedal. It sounds altogether different and great. I now am in love with the amp. You may be wiring it correctly and have a problem with the amp. It is crucial that I changed the way i was thinking regarding wiring it up. I put my volumepedal directly into pre eq send and return. I put the steel and distortion and compressor into the amp input and I put my effects rack into the post eq send and return. It made all the difference. ..................
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 4:39 pm    

Ron,
All I now use is a Boss RV-3 with a Steeldriver II by Goodrich. Try to explain to me how I should wire up this configuration. Until 3 months ago I used a Peavey ProFex, but since have sold it. With the ProFex I plugged into the the back where it has the Amp-in and Amp-out. It sounded fine with my Nashville 400 but not with the 1000.
My question for Mike Brown refers to the Amp with NO EXTERNAL EFFECTS, just the bare guts Nashville 1000 with only it's built-in reverb. It just seems the little N-112's sound better. NR
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2004 7:49 am    

Well, you may have a problem with the amp. I put my steel directly to the amp without volume pedal. Volume pedal goes directly to pre eq send and return. Try your effects to post eq send and return. So there is nothing between steel and amp and nothing between volume pedal and amp. Then try your effects between steel and amp and see how the amp sounds both ways. I am not familiar with you effects. Mike Brown says whether they go between steel and amp or in post eq send and return depends on the way the effect acts on the signal. I would try both ways and see if you can get a good sound. If not i would call or email Mike Brown directly as in the past I have seen that Peavey may look at the amp and fix a problem if there is one in the circuit of the amp. Currently I love the amp and it sounds great. My other steel playing friend here in Albuquerque uses the NV1000 and he has great tone....So I don't think there is a design flaw. Also When I posted here trying to get my problem solved I was flooded with emails telling me that the amp sounds great and the set up is important. Also the tone controls are very sensitive and will vary the tone greatly.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 9:22 am    

Nick,
I'll be happy to discuss this with you by phone if you will call me toll free at 1-877-732-8391. I am in the office from 8AM through 5PM CST. I'm sure that there is some explanation for why you cannot achieve acceptable tone out of the Nashville 1000, expecially if you did obtain good tone out of a Nashville 400. There are differences, but still, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't achieve this with the Nashville 1000. I'll await your call.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 1:52 pm    

I recently acquired a Nashville 1000 to augment my Rack/Stero rig. I have been using it on the smaller stages where things are a bit cramped. I must say that the amp is great, and sounds every bit as good as my old Nashville 400 did, with a lot more grunt!! Once I had the "sound" dialed in with the EQ it only needs a tweak from gig to gig, and always sounds superb.