| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anyone use a Boss VF-1?
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 1:22 pm    

This is a half rack unit, next generation from the SE-70 and SE-50.

Larry Behm
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 1:24 pm    

Larry, Jim Wallace has one. I tried it and it was very good. He would likely sell it, if you are interested. Here is a link to one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3705088036&category=38070

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 20 February 2004 at 01:26 PM.]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 4:47 pm    

Larry.. I bought one and DESPISED it!... It was a hissy artificial sounding MUTT IMHO. I bought it because I thought it would be as good as my Boss SE 70 that I had a few years back... DID NOT work for me.. I sold it REAL quick.... yuck...... bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 20 February 2004 at 04:47 PM.]

Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 8:01 pm    

Larry, I had one about a year ago. I had used a Boss SE-50 for quite some time. The VF-1 seemed to be an awesome unit but I found that it had entirely too many bells and whistles for me. I traded it to a guitar player for another SE-50. The SE-50 seems to be much more user friendly for my level of expertise. Trying to program the VF-1 made my 69 year old brain itch.
Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 8:10 pm    

The VF-1 is an awesome unit. I was able to get some real good sounds out of it, but the learning curve is pretty stiff.
Billy Cooper had some nice programming info on them in the $75-$125 range if I remember correctly.

------------------
Bob Knight
Sergeant at Arms NTSGA
WWW.NTSGA.COM

Del Rangel

Clayton, NC
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 8:29 pm    

I really like mine. I have a five pedal programmable foot switch for it as well, which makes it handy to dial-in a bunch of different sounds/effects.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2004 9:34 am    

Bob C, being from Candor sort of goes with your response, candor. But how do you really feel?

I have had an SE70 for years, every steeler should have one, they are powerful, has almost every effect you can imagine and you can mount it on a small attachment and afix it to the front right leg of the steel and have all of the control right at your finger tips.

The VF-1 says it has a harmanizer is this an intelligent pitch shifter?

Larry

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 5:26 am    

Larry... you are right about my 'candor'.. If something works for me,I'll be the first to praise it to anyone who will listen. IMHO the VF1 is not near the unit the SE 70 is. There is more "stuff" in it but it is NOT as used friendly and I think Boss went more for quantity than quality in the effects. Many will not agree,but I sure couldn't get anything but a real cheesy overprocessed sound out of the VF1.. the SE 70 was a warm,"natural" sounding unit..... bob
Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 7:14 am    

I have had my Boss VF-1 for a couple of years. It programs much like the ProFex but has a lot more settings. I made a chart of the ProFex settings and used it to program the VF-1 using a percentage ratio as the VF-1 settings go to 100, where as the Profex uses different settings. EX; if the ProFex uses 0-20 for a setting and the VF-1 uses 0-100 and the ProFex is set at 10 then the VF-1 setting would be 50. The time settings would be the same for both units when setting reverb and delay.
I also made a bracket that attaches to the right legs of my steel for the VF-1. It uses George L leg clamps and is ease to put on or remove from the guitar.
If you get noise try changing the level switch on the rear of the unit. I hook mine from the mono out to the rear of my Nashville 400. That way you can control all your tone settings without trying to set the NV400. I also use a long chord to place the amp as far behind me as possible.
Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 7:16 am    

I have had my Boss VF-1 for a couple of years. It programs much like the ProFex but has a lot more settings. I made a chart of the ProFex settings and used it to program the VF-1 using a percentage ratio as the VF-1 settings go to 100, where as the Profex uses different settings. EX; if the ProFex uses 0-20 for a setting and the VF-1 uses 0-100 and the ProFex is set at 10 then the VF-1 setting would be 50. The time settings would be the same for both units when setting reverb and delay.
I also made a bracket that attaches to the right legs of my steel for the VF-1. It uses George L leg clamps and is ease to put on or remove from the guitar.
If you get noise try changing the level switch on the rear of the unit. I hook mine from the mono out to the rear of my Nashville 400. That way you can control all your tone settings without trying to set the NV400. I also use a long chord to place the amp as far behind me as possible.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 6:55 am    

Talked to a seller on Ebay and the manual does say that harmony notes can be achieved, which is way different than pitch shifting.

Larry Behm
Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 5:32 pm    

I thought I'd a my thoughts as one who has extensively used both the SE-70 and the VF-1. I currently use the VF-1, and the SE-70 sits by for emergency use.

With EQ turned off, the sound of the SE-70 can be described as warm, sweetening, and forgiving, compared to the VF-1 as more spacious, present, and crystaline.

As far as the range of available effects and effect chains, the range of adjustable parameters within those effects, and the flexibility of arranging effects, the VF-1 substantially improves upon the SE-70; while at the same time, the method of operating the unit is just as simple and quick.

There are perhaps one or two drawbacks: I've struggled to get some of the effects I've like in the SE-70 to come out of the VF-1, but usually after sufficient tweaking they're better. And there's no headphone output on the VF-1.

But I prefer the VF-1 now. My rig consists of a Stereo Steel Amp head, the VF-1, and Black Widows in Marrs cabs. The steel usually is my '69 Emmons. I've found a sound I can live with--when that happens, don't change a thing!

Rob