| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Bose System...Any Takers?
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 4:23 am    

Who's going to be the first to plunk down $2K for one of these? click here

It is kind of a cool idea, I wonder if it will work for steel...

[This message was edited by b0b on 25 February 2004 at 05:29 PM.]

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 4:47 am    

Not sure if I'll be the first but it's on my short list. I thought it was a great idea when I first saw it several months ago. It's a very interesting concept IMHO.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 5:39 am    

Form the BOSE website:
quote:
"45-day Trial Offer

Try the new system on the road, at shows or at rehearsal for 45 days. If you don't find the experience as rewarding as other musicians and audience members we've worked with, simply send it back to us. We'll pay for the return shipping so you can enjoy it completely risk free."

Who's first?
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 8:12 am    

Doesn't this get rid of one's amp? IE, from the pictures, I perceive it replaces one's amp. Am I incorrect?

Quote:
"The new Bose solution is designed to be simple and elegant. There's no monitor, conventional amplifier or PA system. The stage and the audience get the same natural sound with much less reverberation. And you actually play with the band, instead of your own monitor mix, for true collaboration."

In the beginning graphics on the website, it even shows amps, along with pa components and monitors, all being replaced with their newly designed speaker system.

????????????

carl
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 9:19 am    

I honestly believe that professional musicians are better at mixes than Sound Men.

When I'm Doing Sound Jobs, the pros will find their own mix and I can go have a cigarette or get some refreshment, its that simple. Not a lot of work with these guys, but the more inexperienced the pickers the more work I have to do.

I would love to see Bose Come to Saluda and do sound with these rigs, I think everyone would be in shock over the improvement. That would put me out of something to do, but I can sell Sodas and food at the events or worse I could join the staff band and pick

Bose if you are listening, Buddy Walker and I are looking for a donated Sound System for a Charitable event 4 times a year put on by the Shriners. Could get you a lot of positive publicity if it works as you claim.

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 25 February 2004 at 09:23 AM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 12:25 pm    

There's a discussion group at the Bose Site John. Ask them. I don't think they're here.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 1:04 pm    

Quote:
"I honestly believe that professional musicians are better at mixes than Sound Men."

Very respectfully John,

Depends on the man doin tha mixun

I have seen it both ways. One of the greatest I have ever seen in my life is Hollis Calvert of Peavey. To my knowledge he is not that active as a player. Maybe.

I will sight you an example. Hollis mixed the sound at the ISGC for years. He used to even get into aural fistfights with Curley Chaulker right over the PA.

Well Hollis moved up in the company. And NO disrespect to anyone, it was not the same. And one year, it was not too good. Well for some reason Hollis happened to stop by the show on Saturday afternoon. I was the closest video man to the aisle. A number of people (thinking I was the PA man) stopped and complained to me. Some were very voiciferous and a few "expletives deleted"

Hollis was asked to sit in on the board. I kid you not, within just moments, the sound was like someone threw a switch and we went from the "ridiculous to the sublime". Some of the people who had stopped and complained came back and as one said to me,

"Now that is sound as it should be!" I assume he thought I had done it. How wrong he was, I would not know how to achieve a "mix" from an eskimo igloo.

IMO, he was absolutely correct about the incredible improvement in the overall sound. It was perfect (albeit it too loud) in every other way, IMO. I could not believe how quickly his hands moved all them funny little slide levers and controls to achieve his wizardry.

I shall never forget that instance. I have also seen musicians who could not adjust the mix correctly.

So, again it depends,

carl
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 1:28 pm    

Carl
I'm talking about the good ole days where we had maybe 2 mikes and a amp a couple of speakers. We didn't need monitors in those days, Singers could sing back then, I'm talking about the balance that the players got on stage on their own, it was a matter of pride among players and a mark of professionalism. Could you imagine an unmiked or un amplified upright bass in todays music. When is the last time you saw that.

The point is when I have players like John Hughey on Stage it becomes very easy to get a good mix, because they remember the good old days. We had this discussion Sat night after the show in Saluda. Its the less experienced players who are the most trouble in miking instruments. I've also had people who want to sit on the very front row right in front of a speaker and complain its too loud, I tell him that the people in the rear paid the same amount as he did for the show and they have a right to hear also and he has a right to move where the sound is more comfortable too.

Our Friend Bill Stafford is coming to Saluda in May with the new Excel. Thats one show where the Sound will run itself, Cause I'm gonna pick But there won't be any problem on Bill's Show, he believes in a sensible volume level and a good balance. And He was one of the guys I played with a long time ago where we didn't need monitors or miked instruments

Highest Regards
John

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 25 February 2004 at 01:52 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 6:02 pm    

The Bose Musicians Message Board answers a lot of the common questions, albeit with the company line.

As I understand it, an electric guitarist would be expected to take a line out from an appropriate preamp (like a ProFex II or Pod XT) or add an attenuator to the output of a good combo amp. For stereo you do need two, but these guys question whether stereo instruments are necessary in live performance.

I just know that I love the sound of my RotoSphere in stereo, and I'm sure that many keyboard players feel the same way.

This is a pretty pricey unit, and I'm sure it takes as long to set up as most steeler's rack systems. Also, it looks awful new age-y. I have reservations about it until I can actually hear a good steel tone from one.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 12:46 am    

okay, i will admit, i forgot to post here after i tried it but i went to guitar center and tried it. i got them to put me in a separate room and got to use it. the unit was clear as a bell and warm, but sort of sterile sounding and canny like a tin can, if that makes any sense. i guess if you had time to go thru the eq and get a good reverb unit on it, maybe it would be okay, but personally, i'll take my webb anyday over that thing, and for that price i could probably get another and still be under the price tag , although i would have a larger load to carry. i think it is a step in the right direction as far as reducing the amount of stuff on stage and the complexity and loudness, but for a steel guitar i don't think it is the ticket. maybe if you created a box that had the right voicing to it, and a good reverb tank in it, then you went into the bose it would sound allright. if anyone out there has tried this thing, i'd like to hear what your take is on your experience. the guy at the store told me that a lot of them were going out and coming back because of the high pressure sales tactics at guitar center. i guess a lot of moms and dads were going in and buying them for jr. and then it turned out to not be what he needed, so go figure. i like my Webb, thanks Jimmy! i basically left there laughing. just my 2 cents
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 1:04 am    

I love Dr. B's design sense in general, he has built some truely inovative sound products.

Bose lent my Dad some of the 1st 901's to try as studio monitors back in the late 60's, and they sounded quite good, but didn't replace the Altec 604E's or the 3 way JBLS's in the control room.

But on 1st glance I see siginificant feedback issues with any mic in front of the system, and acoustic guitars or instruments with mics on them.

I am sure it sounds great, and for certain acts, it would be fabulous, but in large rooms, it might be problematic.

It would be interesting to link them all together, so each person on stage can get the mix they prefer on stage. The pre-suposing each wants a touch more of themselves, and that balancing out in the room.

I do agree with John F., I would rather a musician mix me than a non-musician who is a technical savant only.
But I want a musician trained in how the sound system REALLY works.