| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  amps?
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2003 8:46 am    

every time I see Buddy he plays an Peavey,everytime I see Lloyd he plays Peavey too ,every time I see Mike Sweeney he plays Peavey.It looks to me that those cheap Peavey amps sound prety darn good,I play Session 500 myself and it sounds great.I always had Peaveys ,N400,S400,N1000 and now S500 and they were all great amps.My favorite is my Session 500 and least favorite would be Nashville 1000,for some reason just didn`t cut it as good as the other ones.What do you guys think?Do you need to spend $1500 or even $3000 (standel) if you can get a great sounding amp for a few hundered bucks?I was thinking about buying a new amp but what if my new expencive amp ends up not sounding as good as my good old and cheap Peavey???

cheap,simple and beautiful and did I mention the TONE???

------------------

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 29 November 2003 at 02:04 PM.]

Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2003 9:29 am    

Played with a band the other night, one of my first times with a band, as I'm still a newbie. I was happy with my tone in my music room, but a little apprehensive about what it would sound like in a live mix. And dang, I was just impressed with the tone. What was it, of course, my old NV400, plain and simple, no delay, no verb box, nothing. I guess it's the KISS theroy.

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2003 10:04 am    

Yup.

Peavey:"When it's not about "The Sound".

Just kidding.

Can't think of an amp with more clean headroom. It's been great for "modelling" tube type amps with the Pod xt

Played my low ser# Session 500 for about fifteen years, re capped it once, fixed the speaker after a cymbal stand tore it, bought a Nvl400 in 94 or so and started Double amping about two years ago with both of them.

Haven't missed a power-up yet on the 400 or the 500 after I cut off the ground plug.

The only plans I have is to start double amping with the Nvl and one of those new single 12s.

Can't beat 'em.

EJL
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2003 10:14 am    

I thought Lloyd played through a Fender Hot Rod DeVille with a JBL.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2003 10:19 am    

Only in the studio.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2003 1:26 pm    

The way I look at it, if the "boutique" amp manufacturers weren't giving a little "something extra" for the money, they wouldn't stay in business very long. Standel's been around a long time.

Peavey amps are great "bang for the buck", but one thing that the "boutiquers" offer over firms like Peavey and Fender is customization. They'll build you an amp like no other...exactly like you want it. The big guys just won't do that. Their money is made on volume of sales, and their production lines are tailored to building thousands of the same item at a small profit. On the other hand, boutiquers build in the hundreds, but have a very big per-item profit.

This is also true in most every industry, from silverware to automobiles. There'll always be some people who are willing to pay a lot for that little "something extra".
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2003 2:02 pm    

I can`t think of nothing extra that I would need tho,I have a Boss delay pedal and that is pretty much it,the Session 500 with my old PP or my Sho~Bud sounds killer without any effects.Interesting thing is that I wanted to upgrade and bought a Nashville 1000,didn`t like it at all,barly got thru the gig,next time I took my 500 and boy,what a differents in tone,you can just feel it in the belly,great lows and clear highs,wonderful amp.Some people don`t like 500 and that is ok,it works great for me,little heavy tho,but what a heck,thats all I would ever need for "THAT" sound ,good old heavy Emmons PP and good old heavy Session 500 and that`s it.I have a great Super Pro that I love,I`ll get another nice Emmons PP and I`m done.At least for a little bit..

------------------
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2003 11:13 pm    

I just installed the "Peavey Mod" in my Nashville 400. Nice, clean, sharp tone. I don't play any better but the sound is noticeably different and improved. I can hear the edge of my thumbpick now. Gotta bend my thumb a little more.

I want to thank the folks at Peavey for making the NV400 easy to work on too.

Emmons SD-10, Dekley S-10, DeltaFex II
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2003 12:11 am    

b0b,

Lloyd used a Hot Rod Deluxe on his latest c.d. not a deville. But now he uses a 1965 blackface Twin Reverb head and an extension cabinet made by Duane Marrs with a JBL d-130f speaker for studio applications. On live gigs such as the convention and shows here in town such as the BMI party he does use Peavey amps.

Mike
Tommy Allison

Transfer, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2003 6:07 pm    

I played several years through a Fender twin,butwas never happy with the sound. About 3 years ago I got back into steel again. Jumped in up to my eyeballs is more like it. Anywho,I bouhgt a used session 400. It sounded a whole lot better than the twin, at least as far as steel is concerned. Then at a steel jam,where the amps were provided,I couldn't beleive how good the old MSA sounded. I turned around and discovered I was playing through an Evans. I bought one just as soon as I could save up the money.I've hung on to the Peavey for a back up but never needed it. Last Sun. at another jam I traded the twin for a used Evans. I don't know what I'll do with the session now. It makes a pretty good lead guitar amp. At the present time I'm wating for delivery of my new Mullen (did I mention that I jumped in up to my eyeballs?). I guess it all boils down to what sounds best to you. I'm not knocking Peavey or Fender. I just like the way my mediocre playing sounds through my Evans amps.
Gordon Titcomb

Woodbury, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 5:47 am    

Count me among the folks that LOVE Peavey's steel guitar amps!
I currently own and use a Peavey Nashville 1000,and have owned 3 session 500's over the years. (I still own one)
I'm not trying to "pick fly poop out of pepper" when I say that I think it is important to make a distinction between "Cheap" and inexpensive.

To my way of thinking, cheap does not only mean that something is low in relative cost, it also denotes that the article in question is one that has been produced with notable compromises with regard to some area ( or areas) of it's quality of workmanship, materials used, design, expected useful life, etc. in order to be able to offer it for sale at a lower price than the seemingly similar items it competes with for market share .

This applies to just about anything you can think of...........from the "order before midnight, and we'll include a handy-dandy" whatever right on up to some of the larger items you'll ever buy,.... like a car, or say, that lovely looking mansion you bought that was WAY under market value. (Because unbeknownst to you at the time you bought it, it was built over a former toxic waste dump, is haunted, has a 2 amp electrical service, and a combined well/septic tank that merely recycles all liquids........you get the picture.

I don't think, given this definition, that Peavey amps are cheap. I DO think that they are very inexpensive relative to the value recieved for the price paid.
My observation is then, that Peavey amps are very inexpensive relative to their function and value to me.

Yes, I endorse Peavey amplifiers, but I have paid for every one of them that I have ever owned........gladly.

I am the first to acknowledge that there are some very fine boutique amps being made out there. I make my living and feed my kids by spending roughly 9-10 months out of the year touring with various artists.... my equipment is not only a source of pleasure for me........it is my livelyhood. If I have a major problem with a Peavey amp (it's happened only ONCE in the 24 years that I've used Peavey amps), I can call Peavey (wichI did),and and be directed to someone almost anywhere on Earth that can fix the amp quickly and at a reasonable cost(they did).

I am not certain that the same option exists with a boutique amp, fine as it it may be.

Count me among the diehard Peavey fans.

------------------
Best regards-Gordon http://www.gordontitcomb.com

[This message was edited by Gordon Titcomb on 10 December 2003 at 05:53 AM.]

[This message was edited by Gordon Titcomb on 10 December 2003 at 10:47 AM.]

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 7:24 am    

Webb.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 7:54 am    

Hello Everyone,
We appreciate all of the positive comments about Peavey products. Gordon's testimony is definitely appreciated.

Give this a thought..........................
Hartley Peavey is the sole owner and operator(CEO) of Peavey Electronics, Architectural Acoustics and Media Matrix. You may or may not be aware of the latter two sister companies, but check them out online sometime and I think that you will know a little more about Peavey. There are no Board of Directors or stockholders to answer to. He makes all of the decisions.

In my 29 years here at Peavey, I've heard, "I used to use Peavey when I first began playing.....etc.". Well, has your playing improved since you first started? I'll bet that your reply is "yes". Well, guess what? Since the late '60's, we have learned and improved too! We "grow" everyday. You've heard me mention on this Forum that the best is yet to come, and I still believe this.

I think that everyone remembers the "good ol' days, which brings back simpler times and sometimes pleasant memories. It's human nature to recall the good times of the past. As a matter of fact, some companies are still living off of their good 'ol products and can't seem to get out of that rut. But, if it pays their bills and consumers continue to buy their products, so be it. But, I guarantee that the prices for these same 30 year old product designs have increased three-fold in some cases, ie; one of the long time guitar companies is one that comes to mind. How much of a price increase for a 30 year old product design will one pay? Is there a ceiling price? The wood prices, electronics and labor rates haven't increased that much.............some, but not as much as the company in question is asking for their products.

In the Peavey Service Department, we employ 11 full time technicians that repair products that is sometimes up to 30 years old! As a matter of fact, I plugged in the word, "reliability" into the search function in the Electronics section of the Forum, and the first topic that came up is entitled, "Come on..........Peavey?" by Joe E. of Plainfield, Illinois. It's worth reading. Here's the link; http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/000048.html

The bottom line is that I support and trust those companies who support me.

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 10 December 2003 at 11:35 AM.]

Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 9:05 am    

I have set up right beside an emmons push pull in an Evans amp, owned a twin, but nothing comes close to a peavey 400,500, or the 1000 for a steel guitar. This is just my opinion! Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Charles French

Ms.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 11:38 am    

Good thing you guys play steel.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2003 12:51 am    

Not everyone is after the super clean, lots of headroom-solid state sound. Tube amps sound different from solid state, and some people are after that little difference. In most cases, they have to ( and are willing to ) pay for that difference too. Good tube amps are more expensive to build, not just "boutique" amps, but in general. But at best, they produce clear highs, buttery midrange and tight low end with warm sounding harmonic distortion, unlike very few, if any, solid state amp can.
With that said, is there a reason why Peavey has never put out a tube steel amp? With all these guys playing Twins, Vibroverbs, Standels and what have you, one would assume a market exists!!??? And Peavey already builds tube amps for guitar players. With a set of quad EL34's ( or 6550's ), a beefy output tranny, a Black Widow speaker and a little circuitry design, you would have a heck of a steel amp.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2003 6:25 am    

Mike you guys have indeed been improving for 3 decades.

I just had a TransFex Pro 212s in the studio for a week to try out, and I couldn't let the store have it back.

Yesterday I transfered my TubeFex's Newman presets into it, no problems, and then went to a very large bluess jam, with some very good host bands rotating each week. I used about 6 programs and a midi foot controler.

I started with the band, never having met before, from song one, at their request, and played the whole night with all players.

A great veriety of musics from rock blues to New Orleans to Gospel. The amp sounded great and was instantly ready with an appropriate sound for each different type of style.

I am now even happier I bought the amp.
great job.
When I have it all totally dialed in, I can't see needing another road unit.
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2003 8:59 am    

Jussi ,"most" steel players understand that a tube steel amp will weigh more than a solid state amp. And we can build a tube steel amp without a problem. But, it's nothing new and there are many tube amps available to "create" you own component rig. In order to market and sell a product these days, you have to give the public something new and different. Plus, a tube amp is normally heavier in weight, which is the #1 complaint with an all tube design. Unless there is something new in the way of technology, we would be manufacturing the "same old amp design".

There are new things in the works that need perfecting, so keep in touch with me at the factory. I can always be reached toll free in North America at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 11 December 2003 at 09:01 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 11 December 2003 at 11:31 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 11 December 2003 at 11:32 AM.]

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2003 10:19 am    

Yeaap Mike, it was jeez a thought!
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2003 2:38 pm    

Keep your thoughts and questions coming!
Ted Hughes R.I.P.

Ms. USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2003 3:44 pm    

One thing about playing Peavey amps & also I play a Peavey Cirrus bass to. If you need it, But not to often is that they have one Heck of a service dept.to. And I might add also that they have Mike Brown to . That's a Big Bonus right there .