| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Deuce and Special 212 Amps
Terry McBurney

Houston, TX
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2003 8:33 am    

As a new psg player, I have acquired two different amps. One is a Peavey Deuce (2 12" spkrs) and a Peavey Special 212 (1 15" spkr).

In talking to Mike Brown via email, I am now aware that these amps are not specifically made for steels. Mike recommends either the new 212 or the 1000; both amps designed for steel.

Can you give me advice on where these amps should find a home so they can be used with a guitar for which they were made? What is the current value of these amps?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Ralph Willsey

Ottawa Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2003 9:30 pm    

Terry

Don't dump those amps just yet.

Earlier this year I was bequeathed a Peavey Classic 410, also not designed for steel. I found it thin, or shrill, plugging my guitar into its pre-amp, and was on the verge of giving up.

But then I plugged my Boss SE-70 effects unit into the power amp (via effects return) and it sounds wonderful. My SE-70 settings were already "voiced for steel" and the flat response of the power amp was the perfect complement.

You wouldnÕt need to use an SE-70. I'm sure any effect device that has EQ -- such as the Profex -- would work and you might suddenly find yourself with a pair of amps that you really like. And try them in stereo, if your unit permits!

(The SE-70 has been replaced by a newer model. Whatever you choose, I find that kind of unit gives much more precise control of settings than an amp's EQ, reverb etc.)

Good luck.

RW

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2003 2:14 pm    

The Duece will go from $250.00 (in sad shape, with just regular speakers) to as high as $400.00 in nice shape with original Black Widow speakers. Don't count this one out for steel! It is a sweet sounding amp with more power than a Twin Reverb! It is a hybrid, transistor front end and tube output (4 each 6L6GC). I have a Mace, next model up, with 6 each 6L6GC and it does really great with my steel. Is your Duece a VT series or the early one (it would have tremolo for early and phase shift for teh VT series)?

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 02 November 2003 at 02:15 PM.]

Terry McBurney

Houston, TX
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2003 4:36 pm    

Ken...the Deuce is a VT Series. A further question to both of you: What exactly does a Profex do? I know that asking this question readily identifies me as a neophyte...but I have to learn.

Thanks.
jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2003 6:24 pm    

ya, don't dump those amps, I'm using a peavey Classic, a hybrid, meaning a solid state preamp and twin tube output, on it's own it is not a great steel amp, but I put a 15 inch black widow in it, and use a Tubefex (like a profex, but with more versatility), or I use a Genesis 3 from Digitech, which does pretty much the same as a Tubefex, but smaller, anyway all that to say that this amp now is a pretty good steel amp, and I also have steel amps, but I have to admit it is a hoot playing through an amp I payed $80 and another $75 for a speaker. Another nice thing about good effects units like the Profex or any of the others, you don't have to be concerned if your amp has reverb, I had an old Bassman head that I now think may be the best tube amp I ever heard. If you don't have an effects unit with a decent EQ, you may want to get one, you will have the advantages of reverb, chorus, delay etc, and the EQ may take a moderate sounding amp like my Classic VT and give it a good sound, (and I believe the tubes are original!)

[This message was edited by jim milewski on 02 November 2003 at 06:26 PM.]

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2003 7:13 pm    

The Profex 2 (and Bassfex is the identical unit, with Bass presets from the factory) is a combination preamp and effects processor. By loading the "User" presets with pre-established presets for steel guitar, you have a virtual studio in a box. The Newman settings are the most popular. A lot of work went into the developement of these settings for steel guitar, thanks to Jeff Newman and friends!
Using that, with a good amp, will give you a lot of variety for steel. I presently use a Bassfex with the Newman settings loaded into it. It is identical to the Profex 2 in every way (even stamped as a Profex 2 circuit board in side the unit).
The VT series was a little different than the earlier 1970's amp, using OP amp ICs instead of discrete transistors. I have a VT series Mace, great amp. In the series the amps were:

Classic 2 each 6L6GC tubes
Deuce 4 each 6L6GC tubes
Mace 6 each 6L6GC tubes

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2003 10:29 pm    

I cut down a classic VT into a head. Run it thru a Marrs cab w/15" speaker. Settings are around bass 7-8, mids around 0, treble 2-3. The steel is kind of muddy into the lows. But with external eq (I have a Boss parametric stomp box) it sounds pretty nice. I don't know if I would be content if this were my only rig but as one of several different flavors this holds its own.
Terry McBurney

Houston, TX
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2003 6:24 am    

I am always amazed at what I learn from the Forum members.

Thanks to each of you for lending your expertise and comments.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2003 9:11 am    

Thanks for the input guys! I learn a lot from your experiences.
Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2003 1:24 pm    

The Deuce is a GREAT amp. I really wish I would have NOT let mine go a few years back... the clean tone for 6 string was very twin sounding, but fuller, deeper, richer bass response, rounder mids, and a clearer high end, yet still had that tubey sparkle.
The special 212, is also a killer amp. Peavey's solid state amps from even the mid 80's on (when they first dumped the 'saturation' type over drive for the 'supersat' style) up until the new transtube technology are also incredible SS amps. Everyone I play guitar with are dumbfounded when I play my Transformer 212-- they all say it's the closest digital model they have ever heard... and when I tell them the various TransTube models all have the same basic tone... lets just say, if only peavey had a commission program going on
Terry McBurney

Houston, TX
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2003 2:33 pm    

What settings do you utilize on your 212?