| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mixing for 5.1 Surround Sound?
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 9:20 am    

Another post talks about stereo imagery. Lately I have been listening to CDs through my TV sound system, which has 5.1 surround sound. I wonder how much we should consider this environment in the studio.

It sounds to me like the instruments that are hard left and hard right are the only things in the rear speakers. Everything else is placed linearly across the front 3 speakers, and the low frequencies are being properly routed to the sub-bass box.

Should we even be thinking about this when we do a stereo mix? Should we be looking for a studio that has a 5.1 listening room?

Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Michael Lewis

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 2:02 pm    

b0b,
As much as I enjoy 5 & 6 speaker surround sound and the technology that brings it to us I think you sort of answered your own question. You've been listening to cd's through your TV sound system. I think that most folks still listen on standard stereo car systems, boom boxes etc. and I humbly feel that the masses don't have your ears.
I remember doing demo tapes and mixing them knowing they would be heard on less than studio quality equipment.
I think it would be a great place to get to, but (IMHO), we are a long way from there! I also sort of have to wonder if the studio and money people think it's a great idea from their point of view. More time and money.......... You can fill in the blanks!
I think it's an interesting thread and I'll be interested to hear what other forumites think.
Mike
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 2:36 pm    

I disagree. A lot of my friends have 5.1 entertainment systems. They are coming to realize that they don't really need a "stereo" anymore, because their DVD system actually sounds every bit as good.
Michael Lewis

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 3:32 pm    

b0b,
I agree that lot's of folks have a pretty good system at home. Where we don't agree is where people most often listen. We're musicians. Leave us out of the equation and I think you'd be more inclined to agree that people spend more time listening on their drives to work, jogging and that sort of thing than in their tv rooms.
We listen differently than the average person. To musicians and music lovers, the music is the center and the conversation the distraction. To others the music has lots of value but is probably not the center of import. I just believe that describes the bulk of the music buying population. They're the folks who buy the cds and listen to the radio and go to concerts. All I'm saying is they're the bigger part of what we might want to shoot for in the studio.
Mike
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 3:58 pm    

If the disc is a SACD or the DVD CD format with 5 discrete channels it is indeed amazing. I find that 2 channel stereo through pro logice or any other DSP chip leaves something to be desired IMHO.

Regards,

Mark T.
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 4:36 pm    

The Dead are currently remixing American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, and I believe Mars Hotel to 5.1 surround. Phil Lesh is big into it, and lots of bands are going that way now. It requires a special rig in the studio to mix that way, and there's more to it than just panning. There's a whole set of theory that goes with it, as well as hardware and software. It is definitely the future.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2003 1:55 pm    

Here is an interesting link on the topic:
http://www.surroundpro.com/2002/August/departments_editorial0802.shtml
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2003 6:28 am    

Bob,
While not really big right now, surround sound is the wave of the future...It's becomming more and more common in some of your larger studio's ...At the AES show 2 yrs ago in NYC I heard a re mix of some Queen tunes done in 5.1 in the Genelec room ...WOW !! is all I can say
Mixed properly, 5.1 surround sounds incredible..Again, it's not totally popular now as it is an added expense with the additional hardware needed to do it right ...Some studio's have rooms dedicated to 5.1 surround...For most musicians doing work in their project studio's stereo, or 2.1 ( stereo speakers and a Sub woofer ) is fine...YMMV ( your mileage may vary )....Jim

[This message was edited by James Quackenbush on 23 October 2003 at 07:29 AM.]