| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone know how to fix a 'Lil Izzy"?
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2003 11:52 am    

I have a Lil Izzy that seems to have a problem with the innards which are sealed in the blob of stuff. The sound is not clean and there is a lot of hiss. It's just not working. Have tried different batteries and re-soldered the battery leads. No change. Any thoughts?

Thanx,
Jim
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2003 6:05 am    

That blob is epoxy. It was mainly used
so nobody would copy the circuit design
(which is probably very basic). I sure
can't see how it would ever be servicable
unless someone's got another blob to
replace the old one.

------------------

My MP3.com page

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2003 7:42 am    

the Izzy was produced by C.W. Baker, and is as you know, no longer in production. if you've changed the battery, there is a small output adjustment sitting on top inside. that might have a bit of dust in it. try some tuner cleaner, rotateing it back and forth, back to the oridiginal position. and see how it works at that point. other than that, there is very few things that can go wrong. hope that corrects the problem. God Bless.

Joe

Derby SD-10 4X5 Nashville 400, Fender blackface twin, Lexicon MPX 100, Profex ll
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2003 7:23 pm    

The L'il Izzy has no adjustment screw. That's the Izzy-Plus model with the buffered pre-amp. The L'il Izzy has no pre-amp. I just bought a Kleen Kick, which is similar to the Izzy-Plus, however; unfortunately they have jst been discontinued also! I wish they would continue those products since the surge in non-pedal steel. They ar vey helpful to get the strong signal on todays hotter p/u's. I used the Kleen Kick for the first time this past week-end for my "49/'50 Fender T–8 Custom which matched the power of my Frankln, playing them side-by-side.

------------------
“Big John” {(<< Uh~
http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 5:57 am    

A possible replacement, if Dunlop still makes them, is the MXR Micro Amp. It's a buffer amp with a pot that will also add gain if needed. Sounds great.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 4:39 pm    

The rivot that holds the jack to the case is the ground and could be the problem. You might check that and perhaps hard wire around the rivot to establish a good ground and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I don't
think there is a chance of repairing it. I could sell you a Hilton pedal and you would not need the Lil Izzy.
Jerry
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2003 11:17 am    

Thanks for all the reponses. Yes, It is a Lil Izzy (no volume control). The 'blob' has pulled away from the case and moves. I will try to pull it away from case and see if there is any electrical contact that may be broken due to this. If so, I can solder something in there to give electrical contact. Someday I may try a Hilton pedal, but I have to try before I buy. In the past too many 'sellers' have sold me things that did not perform as advertised. My sound is very clean (what I want to hear) when I use a working Lil Izzy with my Emmonds and Session 500 amp w JBL speaker. If it won't make it better for me, then I don't buy it.

Thanks again for the replies.

Jim
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2003 9:05 pm    

The fact that the epoxy is loose indicates that continuity is not being made thru that rivot you see on the outside bottom of the
case. If you can figure a way to make good contact between the rivot and the case it might fix the problem. As for the Hilton, you can actually try it. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee of the purchase price no questions asked if you buy one and don't wish to keep it. I have never had anyone take me up on that offer. I hope you can fix the 'Lil Izzy. It is a nice little unit. I had one that had a "Not For Sale, Professional Use Only" label on it that Zane Beck gave me about 25 years ago and it meant a lot to me but it quit and by the time I tore into it and realized what the problem was I had already damaged it beyond repair. I tried to dig into it and the problem was that little rivot.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 16 October 2003 at 10:21 PM.]

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2003 5:06 am    

I do not know if Mr. Baker is still around or not but I sure miss the Izzy Plus I had. I have never been able to get the same sound with anything else I have tried. It is a shame someone could not get the rights to reproduce the Izzy products. I would be the first in line to buy one.
Rainer Hackstaette

Bohmte, Germany
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2003 5:21 am    

There's an Izzy Plus on Ebay:

click here

------------------
Remington D-10 8+7, Sierra Crown D-10 gearless 8+8, Sierra Session S-14 gearless 8+5, '76 Emmons D-10 8+4, Peavey Session 400 LTD

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2003 3:53 pm    

Craig Baker is still around and lives in Eatonton, GA, about 70 miles east of Atlanta. He sometimes comes to the Saluda steel show.

He no longer makes the Litl Lizzy, but may be able to help you with a problem.

I do not have a number for him, but you should be able to find him via the internet or Herby Wallace may have his phone #.

Bill
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2003 4:18 am    

Another Replacement is a pickup booster made by Seymour Duncan. Supposed to have absolutely Flat Frequency response. You can find it by going to Musicians Friend and Searching for Seymour Duncan.

------------------

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 18 October 2003 at 05:23 AM.]