| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Midi Steel
Ben Turner

Myrtle Beach, SC, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2003 11:18 am    

Anyone know of some basic things I need to get started on a midi-steel setup? Does this stuff even exist? I can't find much information. Any place to purchase any of the gear? Any input on this is very appreciated, Thanks.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2003 8:45 pm    

It's a bit of a tough road to hoe, Ben, as the only unit made for steel was the IVL Steelrider and it's been a number of years since being produced. Occasionally they can still be found and, if you do a search on this forum, you will find plenty of us that have our own support group- we need it. One member is developing a new hex pickup (necessary for midi applications) and others have modified Roland 6 string units for the steel application. So - happy wandering!
J J Harmon

Reynolds, GA 31076
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2003 8:56 am    

Don't forget

2 gk-2 pups and 2 gr33's

Of course you will need to respace the elements in the pups.
Terry Farmer

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2003 7:24 pm    

I've been trying to research this subject for the past few evenings and it seems all of the midi pups are for six strings. Jim, you mentioned someone modified one for steel. For more than six strings? Will the Roland Units accept more than 6 inputs? I want to build an 8-string lap steel with midi and modeling capability. JJ, do I need two sets of pups and synths (gk-2s and gr-33s)and use 8 of the twelve channels? Would I also be able to use the VG-88? Will it accept more than 6 inputs? Would I need two of'em? Ouch$$$$$$$$. Any and all knowledge shared on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I will do the search of the forum on the subject. I don't know why I didn't think of that already! PS.- I wrote Line 6 - Variax folks on the subject and they said their circuitry was limited to six strings.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2003 9:05 pm    

I have a 12 string unit but truly all one really needs for midi is a six string unit~ the pickup being placed under the appropriate strings