| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best distortion?
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 4:03 pm    

I've been using a Steel Driver II since they first came out. This one is about to go in the shop for another rebuild. I like what this thing does but I'd like a distortion I can get really r/r with but that has some EQ and more ways of controling the treble and bass. A stomp box that doesn't change the tone in the off mode would be essential. I've had the Rat Distortion stomp and didn't like it. Anybody out there maybe the rockers with an idea? I'm thinking on the Steel Driver III with the Matchbox 70 in the non fuzz mode but want to hear from the ones that use distortion and a lot. Who makes the best stomp box distortion?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 4:40 pm    

Frank, I use a vintage Big Muff from Electro Harmonix, which I and a few others believe to be the best distortion pedal ever made. The pedal has been reissued, in two different versions. The Black ones don't sound the same.

But the secret of getting a truly great distorted sound is to put the pedal on a bypass loop, and put a 6 band equaliser on the same loop, so you just EQ the distortion, not the basic or clean sound of the steel. You can then EQ the fuzz any way you like.

Putting the pedals on a bypass loops (or 2 loops if you prefer) keeps them out of the signal path when they aren't in use, thus preventing signal loss and/or bleedthrough.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 4:46 pm    

P.S. If anybody wants directions on how to make a bypass loop or series of loops. E-mail me and I'll send them.
Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 5:47 pm    

The "Mosrite" is one of the late 60 early 70's.If you can find one they have a warm rich fuzz that kicks Butt.
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 12:11 am    

Frank, I love the sound of Rat pedals for guitar, but I haven't been able to get a good sound out of one for steel. Years ago a friend of mine played my steel thru an original Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it sounded great, ( kinda like Dave Lindley, the guy who played for Jackson Browne). The reissue's cost a lot, but a kid that works at the music store I am working at says that the newest Ibanez tube screamers that they have out sound just as good as the old ones and are more versital. He also know's how to modify various other pedals to make them sound like the original Tube Screamer. I intend to pick one up sometime, I think the Tube Screamer
( an original, a reissue, or the newest version ) would be worth looking into. Also, I remember seeing Jimmie Crawford using either a Tube Works or a Real Tube distorion pedal ( the one with 12 ax7's ) when he was playing with Radney Foster, and he was getting some of the best distortion tone I have ever heard out of a PSG. Good Luck!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 1:07 am    

I use a an old Rat pedal on my lead guitar effects board but for my steel rig I use an old DOD Overdrive pedal (the yellow one) which is wonderful. I like the overdrive pedals as they seem to be able to approximate the overdriven amp sound used a lot for slide guitar things. Boss makes one of these too.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Mike Delaney

Fort Madison, IA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 6:07 am    

I have one of those new Digitech effects units that I am quite satisfied with. I'm sure there are better ones, but this was less than $150, and is very user friendly. I had a sound I liked in about 10 minutes.

This contains compression, distortion, reverb, delay, chorus, phase...all the goodies. As I said, maybe not top of the line, but quite acceptable, and easy to operate.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 7:02 am    

Another one that has all the effects plus amp modeling is the POD XT. I have tried one in the store and been very impressed.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 12:17 pm    

Oddly, what makes for "good" distortion tone seems to be even more personal than clean tones! Back when I was in John Berry's band, he loaned me his original Tube Screamer, and it was just what I was looking for. I've tried MANY reissues, boutique pedals and never found quite the same tone. Right now I'm using a new Maxon OD-808 which is pretty close. There is a huge difference between an overdrive type of tone and distortion, which is more the bosstone/steeldriver/rat color. For me, some songs call for one, some the other. The Roland GP-100 rack unit has some of the best distortion tones I've heard, that's what I use in the studio. Mike P's right- an EQ in line with your dist/OD box is a world of difference. And completely different response if you EQ the tone before or after the distortion. Experimenting's in order!

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 4:14 pm    

WHATEVER ROBERT RANDOLPH USES!!!!!
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 5:29 pm    

is this the same as a boss tone unit ? i'm not to famalier with the others but i have heard of them,,and if it is i would like to know if anyone has used one of these, and how do you set yours ?? thanks gary.
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 7:48 pm    

I saw Robert Randolph around 6 months ago and I was checking out his pedal board when one of the roadies was tearing his stuff down. All of the pedals were boss pedals.When I asked what kind of distortion pedal he used, the roadie told me he didn't use a distortion pedal and he got his tone from cranking up the amps. He had a Twin Reverb and a newer Fender, maybe "The Twin" or something like that. I don't think either amp had channel switching either. He was pretty loud but not too loud for the venue and his tone was great! I have to admit that he was too loud for a small club gig, hence the search for the right distortion pedal
( or a small tube amp and an a/b box ).

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 14 April 2003 at 08:49 PM.]

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 11:16 pm    

For me, nothing beats the sound of a naturally overdriven amp.
Todd Pertll

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 5:20 am    

I saw Robert here in Dallas a few weeks ago, and he was using a Steel Driver.

I'm using the new Pod XT, but I still put a Tube screamer in the chain before the volume pedal. I don't like running the distortion after the volume pedal.
Stephen LeBlanc

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 12:38 pm    

I'd avoid the Pod if I were you...sucks the life out of the sound and introduces artifacts that don't sound natural...IMO of course.

Tech21 makes nice overdrive/modelling stuff, I like.

Old Mosrite Fuzz pedals are a great sound.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 2:16 pm    

A Rat or a Tube Screamer. Either one works great for me.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull,Evans SS200, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 10:03 pm    

Here's a picture of my favorite distortion box!! And it goes to 12.
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 1:19 am    

I have used a lot of them. To me, the Tubescreamer is great for guitar but not enough "OOMPH" for steel, its still too clean. I have been using a Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal for years for my steel and Melobar. It has level, bass, treble and distortion knobs and sounds like a Marshall stack. With a guitar I can get a great "Tom Scholtz/Boston" tone. It makes for a great Race Car sound on the C6 neck, but hey I ain't giving away all my secrets.

If you leave it in line, it will thin out your tone a little, so it does work better with a loop.

Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 6:42 am    

Stephen, are you down on all PODs? I've heard the older models weren't good for steel, but the new XT is. The one I tried was the XT.
Todd Pertll

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 10:49 am    

I bought the Pod XT because I play both pedal steel and guitar on stage, and I didn't want to haul 2 amps. I was using a Twin for a while, but got sick of the weight. I now use the POD XT into a Nash 400, and am pleased so far. I'm actually using the Tube preamp setting for steel, and the twin setting for guitar.

I am going to try and roll tape on the next show I play to see how my tone sounds in the club.
Stephen LeBlanc

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 11:27 am    

Well...I'm not totally down on Pods, I mean I would use one in some situations, I just prefer finding a good amp.

I have a 100w Yamaha transistor amp that kicks ass for clean or distortion...sounds better than the Tube settings in a Pod, to my ears anyway. My Dad used this amp for Pedal Steel when he couldn't use a Twin (he had to ride public buses to a lot of gigs because he didn't drive, so weight was often an issue).

If I was in a band that did mostly cover tunes, especially if it was Top40 pop/rock stuff, I might consider using a Pod...especially if I had to replicate a lot of different sounds from records.

But I'm speaking as a guitar player...I can't see using a Pod for Pedal Steel but I'll admit I haven't tried it.

For what it's worth...I would use a transistor amp if weight was the issue rather than a Pod. The PodXT is better than the original but I still can't feel it. Your mileage may vary.
Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 2:35 pm    

I prefer more of a sound that is overdriven than distortion, I tried the Marshall with the tube and a few others but then tried a Boss Blues Driver. Sweet sounding for my guitars but haven't tried it with my steel.
Fairly inexpensive also.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 6:22 pm    

www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html

I use this one.

Bob
Todd Pertll

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2003 5:11 am    

I'm still working with the POD XT as far as dialing in sounds. Thanks why I really want to tape a show to see how it sounds out front. But it sound great from where I'm sitting on stage, or at least for what I'm doing. Plus, I'm trying to keep gear down to a minimum. As it is with the help of a cheap, small, 2 wheel dolly I got at Target I can carry all my gear in one trip.

But I've only been playing for 3 years so I have plenty of time to amass gear.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2003 5:15 am    

I like Peavey's

Dirty Dog

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra Guitars

Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

[This message was edited by David Wright on 17 April 2003 at 06:16 AM.]