| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey classic vtx
Carlton Harmon

Willis, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 1:55 pm    

I am a beginner on the pedal steel, just been on it about three months and have the chance to get a peavey classic vtx. Could someone tell me how this would be with the pedal steel. thanks in advance.

------------------
country?--only with pedal steel. carlton
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 2:21 pm    

I made a post in another thread just a couple of days ago that is somewhat related.....

I have a Classic VT. Tell me how closely your VTX resembles this because I don't know anything about the various models------solid state preamp, 2x6L6 tube amp section, 2x12" speakers, two channels, spring reverb, an additional effect, (phaser?) 50w output.

I bought this amp cheap in the 80's. It had non-original speakers in it. It didn't work too well for me for steel--too trebly, not fat enough on the bottom.
I just took it out last week and plugged a 15" Weber California speaker cab into it and tweaked the dials a bit (treble-2, mid-0, bass-4 and this thing sounds really good! But I can't really change the settings to get different colors with the steel---the eq range that works with steel (to my ears) is pretty narrow. This is not a steel amp---- and this is certainly not a criticism of the amp---I'm not a guitarist but I bet this would be a pretty nice guitar amp.

So the question is, can you get it pretty cheap? (under $200, say) and is it mainly for bedroom use? It is underpowered for steel for all but the small room types of gigs--and remember, it was a 15" speaker cab that brought it to life for me---I have briefly checked it out and it looks like a pretty tight squeeze to fit a 15" baffle & speaker into the amp's body. I'm considering taking a saw to the body and turning it into a head.

Summation? There are better choices (from Peavey, for sure, and others) but if this is an offer that's hard to refuse, you can make this work for you.
Carlton Harmon

Willis, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 3:26 pm    

I can get this amp from a friend for 100.00. I don't know the first thing about it. He has let me use it to see if I want it. I play a musicman stingray 1 guitar through a fender deluxe 90. This one don't seem to be quite enough for a steel. The peavey is a 200 all tube 6L6GC if that tells you anything.Like I said I know very little about the steel as I am just starting. and I know even less about this amp.

------------------
country?--only with pedal steel. carlton
Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 4:17 pm    

For $100, if you dont buy it, send it my way! Seriously, that is a heck of a good deal. How many 6l6 tubes are in it? (2 would mean it's a 60 watt amp, 4 would mean 120 watts, and 6 would mean 160+ watts). They are nice amps for guitar at the least, I've heard some say they are good for steel, which I've never tried, but for $100, you couldn't buy a speaker (does it have 1 or 2 12" speakers?), let alone the cabinet and chassis etc... definitely a good deal, and if you dont like it, you'd sell it FAST
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 9:00 am    

That's good buy! But, I agree that there are other options for the steel. We will be releasing the new Nashville 112 amplifier this summer. Here is a link to this product from our website;http://www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/guitaramps/nashville112.cfm

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation