| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  speakers
Tom Wicks

Coombs, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 6:35 am    

you see six,eight,twelve and fifeteen inch speakers in amps of all sizes but rarely a ten inch, is there a reason for this? Emmons legrande, hilton pedal, rv-3 Evans amp
Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 6:42 am    

10" speakers are rather common, actually,
... a lot of bass cabinets (the revered Ampeg SVT cabinet had 8 of them in one), the Fender Bassman (from the tweed, up to the 'bassman 10), the fender Super Reverb and Vibrolux reverb are some of the most 'common' and well known examples.

One thing I will say, is that a 2x 10" cabinet just doesnt have the 'cut through' and room filling power that an equivalantly powered single 12" speaker would.. the 10" speaker is favored by a lot of blues guitarists for this exact reason-- they can crank the heck out of their amp, and yet keep the sound pressure to 'acceptable' levels...
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 7:03 am    

Pedal steelers are usually trying to avoid shrill highs and get full lows. 12" and especially 15" speakers help with this because they have less high end response and better low end response than 10" speakers. But I am surprised at Gino's post above. I always thought that a lot of lead guitarists like the 4x10 cabinets because they cut through better for their lead playing up the neck.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 8:41 am    

I play steel through a Traynor tube amp, 4 10's, about 90 watts, and I don't think anyone could want anymore low end. Even the boo-wah C-to-A drop is clean. Remember, those old SVT bass cabs had 8 10's, and it ain't NEVER gonna sound better than that!
But I think you need more than two 10's, though. Just not enough total area.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 8:58 am    

There's still some amps available made with one or two 10" speakers. Not many people use them, though.

Why bother...when twelves and fifteens sound so good?
Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 9:15 am    

My practice amp is a 70's silverface Fender Priceton reverb w/ 1x10". It sounds super sweet and is loud enough for quiet rehearsals at home, but the other night I went out to a buddys rehearsal space to jam. Before I went out, I asked how loud they rehearsed, and he assured me that they were so into group dynamics, that they kept it pretty quit. WELL.............."pretty quiet" is a relative term. They were just a little bit over the level where my Priceton goes from sweet sounding to raunchy sounding. I ended up sounding like Robert Randolph, which is too dirty for my personal taste.

Bottom line? 10" small combo amps are awesone if you want a bluesy overdriven 6 string tone, but forget about it if you need clean headroom w/ a PSG!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 9:17 am    

OH YEAH! They are great for recording though!!!!!!!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 9:41 am    

The best selling and sounding amp in the Musicman lineup was a 2x10 HD 150. This amp
was was put Music Man out there years back.
The MusicMan 4x10 HD 150 is the best sounding
amp I have ever used. It houses 4 10" EV speakers,
and is similar to the old tweed Bassman Fender made years ago,but with three times the amount of power and the bottom end is a killer. Never knew what caused MusicMan to close the doors. Well sort of,but you dont want to hear that story...not now anyway.