| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  computer rcording
Harold Jack Baker

Ladora, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2003 4:23 pm    

I've heard that with the proper software you can turn a computer into a digital music recorder. Is this true and if it is how much computer does it require and where does one get the software? Any info will be appreciated.

------------------
Texas Jack
Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2003 7:21 pm    

Hi Harold,
I'm not a recording tech by any means, but I have a Sonar program, that just thrills a lil'ole country boy to death. Its pretty user friendly for what I do, I also have Band In A Box and its pretty good deal to sit and record with a four or five piece rhythem. The conputer I use has 40 gig HD and 1.8 gig processer, seems to work well for me so far. If i was as good a Steel player , as it is a recorder, I would be in hog heaven.

------------------
Wayne Morgan
BMI D10 8x8,ShoBud ProI 3X4, Nash 400,Profex II,'63 Fender Super Reverbe,and '71 telecaster custom

Brett Cookingham

Sherman Oaks CA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2003 7:59 pm    

I hear the Nuendo system works good and sounds as good as any computer recording system, and costs alot less than Pro Tools TDM.

Peace
Brett Cookingham

[This message was edited by Brett Cookingham on 09 March 2003 at 10:28 AM.]

[This message was edited by Brett Cookingham on 09 March 2003 at 10:29 AM.]

RB Jones

Burlingame, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2003 8:52 pm    

Cakewalk, the same company that makes Sonar makes a program called Home Studio XL. This program will keep you busy for a long time learning the techniques of recording and using Midi. You can upgrade to Sonar later for a reduced price.

Besides the software, make sure you have a sound card installed that will take a line input from your mic preamps, amps or mixer. Most computers nowadays come with a sound card that converts the analog into digital. I'd start with that. This will let you lay down at least one track at a time.

At some point you may want to upgrade to a better sound card that has more sophisticated inputs and features that would enhance a program like Sonar. More inputs means you could record several instruments on different tracks at once.

The fact that you can capture these tracks and then add effects like reverb, modify the sounds, change pitch, and move things up and back in the mix is the reason computer recording is so much more powerful than the old analog tape systems.

Band-in-a-Box is a blast. Unfortunately, it has so many features that it can be scary to a new user. Don't let it dissuade you. You can have your own four piece band to back you up. You just plug in the chords, select a style (several country style disks are available) and let 'er rip. The newest version even lets you record on the track with the instruments.

BIAB use a MIDI synthesizer, which you probably have in the sound card of your computer, to play the instruments. Some of these synths sound cheezy, but BIAB comes with a software sythesizer by Roland called VSC and I'd recommend you load and use that one if you've got a PC that has, say more than 400mhz chip and 128 Megabytes of RAM.

I just hit the high spots. Try it out.

RB
Dwight Mark

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2003 11:02 pm    

My entire CD was recorded and mixed on Cubase VST in a garage studio. I have since bought Cubase myself and about $1100 for a dedicated computer for recording, and a Tascam USB unit. I work out songs with it, and even though I also have nice mics, I still plan on going back into a studio for my next CD. It is nice to track things in and work on the production of songs at home. I add drum tracks, bass lines, harmony vocals, just to experiment on my own time and money. I've share my demos and have been told they sound professional.

Dwight www.dwightmark.com
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2003 12:00 pm    

There are a number of good DAWs (digital audio workstations) to choose from. Since I'm using a dual engine G4, I ended up with MOTU's Digital Performer 3 and I use the MOTU 896 for I/O. I'm not going to say that it's the best. I chose it because I needed to be more compatible with some of the people I work with. I prefer Sonic Solutions, but it's ungodly expensive and very unfriendly to learn/work with.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2003 1:03 pm    

I use Digital Performer for 20 years since it was Performer. And Protools.
Go to www.digidesign.com and you can find Protools Free. For Mac and PC. It is a limited, but not time lovked or disabled audio recording program. That can get you an idea what this stuff is like.
Sonnar /Cakewalk are good PC platforms. My friend does a midi/laptop with guitar and gt. synth gig in Boston, at hotels and such, doing one man modern jazz. he loves the system.

Cubase is used a lot over here, my best local friend has a small studio based around Cubase. It has lots of little helper apps and virtual sound modules available or included. but for me I find it limited even it's top end version. But you most likely will not. I have been mixing for 35+ years so I am more particular than most.

But the market for PC based recording programs and hardware has never been better or more varied. I like what I use,DP and PT, but am considering the MAC OS x version of E-magic Logic also.