| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavy 1000? Music Man HD-210/130
Melinda Dauley

Tacoma, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 5:18 pm    

I was looking around at everyone's gear and I was wondering why people choose a Peavey, which I am assuming is a solid state amplifier, over the traditional tube amp such as a Fender Super Reverb? I know that the Peavey Nashville 1000 puts out a lot of wattage. I tried one and it just doesn't seem to have the warmth?
I am getting a Music Man HD-210/130W. Has anyone ever tried to use this with a 68 (or thereabouts) Fender 1000 S-8?
Looking forward to your replies.
Melinda Dauley

------------------
Just remember: Bi-valves can't play steel. And if they ask, just say no.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 6:10 pm    

Hi Again, Melinda.. Again, it depends on the sound you're after. A lot of the forum steelers are going for a modern, clear, high headroom clean steel sound, which can then be modified with effects and processing if desired. The Peavey amps generally have that in spades, others offering the same high power- high headroom sound including Evans, Webb, and various rack systems. A vintage/retro or classic "lo-fi" sound might be better served with a lower wattage tube amp, of course for years the classic steelers used those. One of the reasons for the popularity of the higher powered cleaner solid state amps is the common Double neck setup, players want a crisp clean bright E9th tone and a full rich thick C6 tone from the same amp. So far solid state jobs with a 15" speaker seem to be the best we can do for that. For years I've used a processor front end (Peavey Pro FexII or TransTube Fex) into a Mosvalve stereo power amp and two 15" cabs. For smaller clubs and more and more shows recently I'm using the transtubefex into the power amp in of a Nashville 1000. Plenty clean, plenty of volume when needed. (For me, the "straight in" sound of the Nashville 1000 is nice, but there's something in the midrange I don't like.) From your other post about playing/ loving your Gretsch 6 string, I'm guessing you might really dig the more retro Fender Tube amp sound. They tend to break up a bit when pushed with a steel just like with guitar.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 6:20 pm    

The Musicman amps are not a traditional all tube amp. They are a hybrid, transistor preamp and tube power amp. Some had one preamp tube for an overdrive or compressed sound. Great sounding amps! I just got a Peavey Mace VT (160 watts, IC preamp, 6 each 6L6 and two 12" Black Widows). It is another hybrid from that era of amp. Hybrids amps offer a little of both sounds to my ear.
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 5:41 am    

I have two MusicMan amps and personally think they are great amps. The larger one is 100 watts, two tubes with a 12 inch EV speaker. The smaller one is about 50 watts, three tubes with a JBL 12 inch speaker. I would like to have one of the 2-10 models as well but so far have not found a great buy on one. The amps sound totally different from each other even when using the same speaker. If you like a nice warm tone I think you will be very happy with the MusicMan.

I also have a rack system, Roland GP100, Steward power amp, EV speakers. It's the only combination (of the many I have tried) that gets a tone similar to my MusicMan's.

I have owned several PV products over the years but never cared much for the sound they produced. They give lots of volume but that is about it but the tone leaves much to be desired.

[This message was edited by Robert Parent on 13 February 2003 at 05:48 AM.]

Gary L. Jones

Liberty, MS, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 6:42 am    

IMHO, ..."IF IT AIN'T PEAVEY...BETTER LET IT ALONE! PEAVEY IS BETTER ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT! WBEN I FIRST STARTED PLAYING, FENDER JUST COULD NOT HOLD UP! AFTER SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY ON A FENDER AMP, I SWITCHED TO PEAVEY, AND I AM STILL HAPPY WITH THAT DECISION.
Melinda Dauley

Tacoma, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 10:34 am    

Okay Mr. Gary Jones: But you don't have to shout. (TYPING IN CAPS IS SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET FYI) No one on this end is arguing that Peavey isn't the better road worthy amp. Peavey's don't blow tubes or anything like that. They usually have a lot more wattage.

I guess I've just always been the one to go against the grain. I like that warm sound of a Fender Amp (which is basically what a Music Man is). But I guess it's a hybrid. Is the Fender Twin a hybrid in it's later stages, say like 1972? (silverface). Since I'm not totally missing something about the Nashville 1000, I think I will stick to the tube amp that I conveniently use for my Gretsch guitar.
I feel like I always do here on the steel guitar forum like I do in other guitar forums. I am forever going against the grain with my old style instruments and amps. On the other boards, Les Pauls and Marshall halfstacks were recommended all the time. I kinda feel like D-10 and Peavey Nashville 1000s are the same kinda thing.
Thanks for all your advice and knowledge. I appreciate it.
Melinda Dauley

------------------
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 11:10 am    

There are a number of guys around who use Twins and swear by them. Ricky DAvis and John Arnold are a couple that come to mind. Buddy Cage uses some sort of modified Twin with external speakers (John Arnold can tell you all about it). And other tube-lovers who use Mesa-Boogie. Chuck Campbell was using some sort of rented Fender the other night when they were here, and sounded just fantastic. And there are a number of other options people go with. So you are not quite as "against the grain" on this issue as you are with your 8-string Fender (and hey, you've got some good company there in Sneaky Pete!). The Peaveys have been real good reliable workhorses for a lot of people - I just got a 400 to serve as a spare, and like it, but my main amp is a Webb which I love.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 11:38 am    

I'm now playing through a Fender Champ in stereo with a Music Man 112 RD Sixtey-Five with a Boss RV-3.
I really love this set up!

I also have a Walker Stereo Steel w/Lexicon LXP-1 reverb and I really love that setup too!

The Peavey amps I've had were cost effective, never broke down, and tons of guys use 'em, but I understand where Melinda is coming from.
I still have a 7 channel Peavey 701R Mixer and a Profex 2 w/pedal.

The Music Man amps are pretty cool for steel I've found!
They are inexpencive on Ebay and local used gear shops, and the Solid State Preamp with tube power amp make it a really Loud and Clean amp in a compact package!
My 112 Sixtey Five is shaped like a small Twin Reverb cabinet and is on casters.
Very convienient to use!
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 12:00 pm    

Melinda, from a manufacturers point of view, we gather data from products shows, dealer and consumer input and also use our 30 year history of steel amp manufacturing to determine what approach to take for the next steel amp project. And believe me, we have learned a lot since the early '70's.

There has been a trend for the past few years by many amp manufacturers to design and manufacture a solid state amplifier that emulates a tube amplifier and I think that Peavey as well as other manufacturers have come pretty close in capturing "that tube sound" with all solid state circuitry for the six string electric market. The drawbacks of using a tube amp for steel guitar is the lack of headroom and also the amp is very heavy for the pro market. Weight seems to be the number one concern and in the small steel guitar community so there are tradeoffs, ie; weight vs.power, power vs. tube, tube vs. solid state, tube vs. amp price. Most tube amps are heavy and expensive. It looks to be a topic that will continue to be discussed until the technology allows us to build a lightweight tube amp that produces 150 to 200 watts.

At this point in time, we will stick with the solid state design and will continue to persue other technologies.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here at Peavey by calling our toll free number at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 12:38 pm    

Melinda, I have been on this forum for a little over a year, and I gotta tell you that I had the same preconcieved notion that Peavey was cheap rugged gear designed for teenage garage rock. For some unfounded reason, gear snobs in the 6 string world tend to favor this notion and spread it around with glee.

But let me tell you, these cats on this forum know what they are talking about. It isnt an accident that the PSG amp of choice is Peavey. When you consider that the price of a pro PSG is well over $1500, do you think that they would "cheap out" on their amp? I think not.

I am actually a lot like you. I prefer Fender tubes(but I havent really given Peavey a shot!), I would rather play a real Fender Rhodes than a sample of one on a synth, If I could afford a real Mellotron(the original sampler) I would play it. In other words, I think that the idiosyncrocies of antiquated old gear is way cooler than the "hottest new thang".

Keep up your quest to use different gear, but be carefull not to shoot any sacred cows(Peavey or Emmons) on this forum!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

[This message was edited by Matt Steindl on 13 February 2003 at 12:39 PM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 1:34 pm    

i ended up gettin' a PV Nash 1000 and i don't regret it.
i have kept my Twin and use it too for guitar and E9
but for C6 i do prefer the Nash.

------------------
Steel what?

Melinda Dauley

Tacoma, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 4:28 pm    

Yeah I know all about the sacred cows. Don't shoot down the Peavey or the Emmons.
I don't know what I was thinking, but I thought Sho-Bud was a pretty good quality instrument. I guess ya have to slap down 4 grand for a steel for it to be good.

Even though I've only been playing for a few years compared to everyone else, I have tried many a different amplifiers. I know Peaveys aren't cheap crap amplifiers (well, most). But I also know that no matter what you do with solid state electronics, you can NEVER get that exact tube sound. You can get pretty close, but not exact. Maybe sometime in the future.

I am not concerned about the weight of my gear because I am not shipping it anywhere. As long as it has wheels, I am all good with that. The Fender 8 stringer has two cases which would piss most people off I think.

So I think that I will stick with the Music Man. Thanks for all your advice.
Melinda

------------------
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 3:06 am    

Hi Melinda,
I have owned and still own many amps, preamps, speakers, steels, guitars, dobros, and other instruments and gear. Every combination is different, every combination is good, every combination will suit one or another's taste. Please don't get frustrated. Do things your own way, march to your own drummer, dance to your own beat. If you ask for advice on this forum, you are going to get a lion's share of it, believe me, good or bad, or both. LOL.

Please don't write me off because I play Emmons guitars ('73 push pull and '92 LeGrande). I have had 3 wonderful Sho-Buds in the past, I will probably buy another someday. There's nothing like a lacquered birdseye maple body for an instrument. I love them. As for amps, I have everything from Peavey to Evans to Fender to Boogie, they all sound different and they all sound great. My favorite is my '69 Fender Dual Showman Reverb Amp (basically a Twin)that I built a solid walnut cabinet for. It also houses a 15" Evans speaker. Plenty of power and all the tone. And two channels to boot so I can use it with other instruments as well. I also have a Peavey Nashville 400 (solid state), Artist VT 15" (hybrid), and Classic 20 (tube) as well as Fender Blues Jr. (tube), Evans DP2R Preamp (solid state), Mesa Boogie Studio Pre (tube) and Formula Pre (tube). I play the Emmons steels and my "55 Fender T8 Stringmaster, two teles, and Asat, an Axis, Strats, a Rick 12, a Dano Baritone, and a big ol Samick hollowbody. Also Dobros, Fiddles, Mandolins, Banjo, Harmonicas, Keyboards and accordion (shhh dont tell). I got a big ol heavy A** 1972 Fender Rhodes, a full 1970's Ludwig drum kit with vintage Zildjians, you name it. I love the old stuff. I love some of the new stuff. My career depends on my sound, therefore I must keep up with the new as well as the old that I love.

Plow your own way girl, and if those "cows" get in your way, plow right over them. Your music is about You!!! If your music requires a sound that only you can hear, find it for yourself first and then learn how to teach it to us so that we may better enjoy it as well.

Take care my new friend, and God Bless you on your wonderful journey. We are all here to help you, not hinder you... well most.

By the way, if you have a CD of your original music, I for one would love to have one.

Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 6:35 am    

Melinda, I use a Nashville 400 or a Twin Reverb depending on the size of the stage and the room. I also play guitar so the Twin serves both purposes and takes up half the room. The Nashville is good for the C6 neck. It take take the push from the low strings. I tried a Nashville 1000 and it sounded grainy to me. Just like the 400 did before I got the mod put in. This is just my opinion and others on here will tell you different. That's what makes the world go round. Bottom line is : If you like what you have and can get the tones you want, then fly with it.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 10:04 pm    

Hi Melinda. My but you are a feisty little rascal. Just remember always , what works for you is the way to go. Explore the new innovations, but if they are not for you, stick with what you have. I played thru Fender amps for a long time. I did modify my Fender Twin. I took the two 12 inch speakers out and installed a JBL 15 inch speaker. Did wonders for the sound.(LLoyd Green came up with the idea). I still have the amp. But times, techniques, and music changes each year and when Peavey came out with steel amps, I tried them and am still using them. I have never had one fail me. My Session 400 LTD is 12 year old and I still use it on the road. I have just purchased a Peavey 1000 and will start using it next week. Always remember, what works for you is the way to go. Best regards, Jody.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 7:52 pm    

Melinda-FWIW- the best sound that I liked was with my Fender Twin Reverb with 2 12inch JBL D120's. And the Fender dual showman with one 15 inch Jbl D130. All the jobs I played with these in all clubs, must have had plenty enough power , even at 85 and 100 watts, because everyone always were telling me I was too loud. I had the voulume set on maybe 3. Never had it much higher, maybe 4 on the big jobs.

Another amp that I didn't own but played for a couple of hours. Was a Gerry Walker Stereo Steel outfit. Just Great tone! So there you have it 2 tube amps and 1 solid state. Both good....al
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2003 2:31 am    

For the guitar you have, you ARE using the right amp.
Baz www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2003 7:17 pm    

Melinda, use what you like. There's no right or wrong. I always liked the Music Man amps for guitar, but the Nashville 1000 is a good match for my Sho-Bud guitars at a fairly high stage volume. My Fender amps don't cut it for steel when we're playing big halls or outdoor gigs. ONE MORE THING! (I'm shouting) THE QUEST FOR TONE NEVER ENDS.

------------------
Rick McDuffie
Debbie Elam Band
www.tarheelmusic.com