| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp Speaker Question
Stephen Winters

Scobey, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 8:11 am    

I have a 120w Peavey Deuce amp. I want to replace the two 12" speakers. The amp runs at 4ohms and can handle 2ohms.

Would two 8ohm 75watt speakers run parallel be sufficient, or would two 8ohm 100watt speakers be better?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 7:14 pm    

Two 8-ohm speakers, wired in parallel, would give you the 4 ohms that you need. As far as the wattage rating, the higher-wattage speakers would be a safer choice, but might not give you any better sound than the lower-wattage ones. While many amps will tolerate an "under load" condition (and deliver more power this way), I would not advise this type of operation for long term usage.

Tubes, transformers, and speakers, are now very expensive items, and you probably wouldn't like replacing them every few months.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 8:08 pm    

I just got a Mace VT amp. Had one and also a Deuce back in the late seventies and early 80's. Great amps! I was a Peavey dealer back then and remembered the odd thing about these amps was that it was recommended to run the internal speakers on the "aux" jack. I just downloaded a schematic for the Deuce/Mace power amp and it confirms that. The amplifier's aux tap is at 4 ohms the main is at 8 ohms. Why they marked the amps that way never made sense to me! Keep that in mind when getting new speakers.
The BW 1203-8 speakers would be awesome for this amp! I just tried one (actually the 1203-4) in an LTD400 I restored into Pacer cabinet. The tone was just fantastic.
To answer your original question, either a 75 watt or 100 watt would be fine as each has a potential of seeing only 60 watts RMS from the amp. The 1203-8 speakers can handle 350 watts RMS each.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 10 February 2003 at 08:11 PM.]

Stephen Winters

Scobey, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 5:14 am    

Thanks for the replies. They were a great help to me. I have been thinking about the 1203-8 black widows, but I found some discounted 8ohm 75watt speakers that are tempting me. But, I may hold out until I can afford the BW's.