| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pair of Peavey Special 130's?
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 11:01 am    

My friend Danny Hawk... Emmons PP S-10, and not online... wants to go stereo with two amps, and he likes the 12" speaker sound. His idea, which he may try out tomorrow on NYE, is two Peavey Special 130's.

Question: will there be enough power with two of these amps to be heard in a Texas bandstand situation.

Opinions?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 12:42 pm    

Interesting idea! He will have 260 watts and two 12" speakers (hopefully they are Black Widows). Considering a Twin has 85 to 100 watts and two 12" speakers, I think it might cut it for volume. Hard to say how much good low end he will get out of the small cabinets. Let us know how it turns out, Herb.
I am building an old LTD 400 into a Pacer cab with a 1203-4 BW speaker. I am hoping it might cut it for small steel gigs. I'll let you know how that turns out, too.
Hopefully someone else has used one of the Speacial 130 amps and can give you more insight, Herb. I know Darvin Willohite has one he put in a Pacer cabinet, not sure if he tried for steel.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 12:50 pm    

Ken
I just talked to Danny and he's going through with the deal. He says in the music store it's a killer sound. He only plays E9 so low end is not that heavy a consideration,... he says.

We'll see...

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 1:13 pm    

Herb, I assume those are 130 watt amps, hope I am not misleading you there! He might have a little ground loop hum with both amps chained together. He can ground lift one amps and get rid of the noise. At stage volume, that may not be a concern.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 1:21 pm    

A pair of those would be louder than a session 400, because of the extra air being moved (the additional 12).

Some of the best steel I have ever heard was played through a special 130 (Chuck and Darrick Campbell use these in church).

------------------
www.tyack.com
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2002 1:47 pm    

Last time I saw Danny, he was playing through two N400's. I think. At least he had two on stage.
Man, where did he find one Special 130, much less two? I think two might do the trick without any problem. I had a 130 that got stolen. It was the best tone I've heard through ANY Peavey amp.
Go for it Danny!