| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ??? for Mike Brown or anyone who can help
Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 5:44 am    

How can you tell what ohms B/W 15s are if there is no# just Ser # 596829? also why the blk rubber around magnet? Is that in case you drop it on your foot? I noticed some B/W had rounded spider arms and some square. Any help with this is appreciated. A B/W I just got has a smaller magnet than I've ever seen on one it's marked 8 ohm
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 6:48 am    

There have been several versions of the Black Widow since its inception in the late '70's. Every new version brought increased power handling and better overall performance. There was no significant difference with the rounded "arms" vs. the square ones, but that characteristic could have been incorporated into the design during an update.

The black rubber band is a cosmetic feature that doesn't add to the performance. However, it "might" weaken the blow if you drop it on your foot, but I doubt it. A word of caution; try not to drop it on your foot.

The smaller the magnet, the less efficiency and power handling in this case. It's probably an early model that you have seen with the small magnet(Spider mag?).

There is usually a white sticker located above the red and black speaker terminals that would give an indication of the model, ie; 1502-4 ohm, etc..

I invite you to check out the latest version of the Black Widows from our website. Here's the link;http://www.peavey.com/products/proaudio/spkrcomponents/index.cfm

Also, here is a link to the previous version; http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/misc/blackwidow.cfm

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 8:52 am    

Skip...find someone with an ohm meter (or you can buy a VOM{volt-ohm-milliammeter} yourself for $15-$20 at Radio Shack...comes in handy for all sorts of things) and measure the resistance of the speaker. 4-ohm speakers will generally measure between 2.5 and 3.5 ohms. 8-ohm speakers will generally measure between 5.5 and 7.5 ohms, and 16-ohm speakers will measure between 10.5 and 15.5 ohms.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 11:11 am    

Thanks for the help, Donny. I should have advised that.
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 1:07 pm    

Skip- What is your correct email address? They're bouncing back!

------------------
Rick McDuffie
Debbie Elam Band/Tarheel Jazz Q-tet
www.tarheelmusic.com