| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Floorstanding stereo speakers
Mel Culbreath

Waynesville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 12:47 pm    

Hope this isn't too far off topic but I didn't know where else to post this question.

I am on the market for a small pair of floorstanding speakers for my stereo setup.

I have been using Bose 901s for the last 25 years but moved recently into a house that doesn't have a good place to put them due to the configuration of the living room.

These are my requirements:
-$1,000 or less for the pair.
-Less than 9" wide
-Will drive them with an Onkyo stereo (not surround) receiver rated 100 watts per channel.

They will be used mainly to listen to Steel Guitar, Big Band, Classical, Classic Country and some Pop and I do not plan to supplement them with a sub woofer.

I have looked at many different brands, including Boston, Klipsch, KEF, Paradigm, Pinnacle, Vienna Audio, B&W and Bose. The ones that seem to come closest to meeting all the above requirements are Silver 6 Series made by a Canadian company, Monitor Audio. I have never heard of this company and wonder if anyone of you have had experience with Monitor Audio speakers, or any suggestions for something similar to what I am looking for.

Thanks

Mel
David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 1:05 pm    

Monitor Audio is high end brand. Goto
www.audioreview.com and look at the review for that and other brands.

Emmons D-10, Kline U-12, Evans Fet 500 LV
Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 1:49 pm    

I have a pair of Mirage bipolar speakers. Speakers on the front and rear of the box, If you want natural sound with a lot of detail, I suggest you try out a pair of these. They also offer omnipolar speakers. They are a Canadian company too. http://www.miragespeakers.com/
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 7:02 pm    

Try these on for size...They sound every bit as impressive as very large floor standing towers...You won't believe your ears when you hear these things...I have a full surround setup from the same company...They are one of the few surround setups that sound as good for music listening and Surround Theatre listening also...Give em a shot, you won't be sorry. Jim http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powermonitor/powermonitor.html
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 7:35 am    

Mel, I'd recommend going to a hifi/stereo store and audition a lot of speakers. Bring a few of your favorite CDs so you're familiar with the music and you know how you like it to sound. There can be dramatic differences between even the most costly speaker sets, so don't take price or brand name as a definite indicator of what you might like. And don't buy anything until you hear it, no matter the reviews. For example, I've auditioned a set of $16,000 B&W 801's against a set of $1,200 Magnaplanar MG 1.5's and I think the latter sound much better. Both of these models are too big for your requirements, but they make a good example of the need to carefully audition before making a decision.

------------------
Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?

[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 06 December 2002 at 07:37 AM.]

Mel Culbreath

Waynesville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2002 6:02 pm    

David, Glenn, James, Bill - thanks for the very good information and advice.

I checked out the web sites you suggested and listened to lots of speakers around the $1,000 range using a CD I took with me (Les & Larry Elgart - Big Band Favorites). I ended up buying the Monitor Audio Silver S6 floorstanders for $850 plus tax.

Thanks again,

Mel