| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ART Tube Compressor
Jim Wiehoff

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2002 7:28 pm    

I am considering purchasing an ART Levelar Tube Compressor to use with my steel. Has anyone had experience with this unit?
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2002 12:22 pm    

Check Harmony Central: http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/ART/Levelar_-01.html
Jim Wiehoff

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2002 7:16 pm    

Thanks much Pete...very good reviews. I would still like to hear from anyone who has used one with their pedal steel
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2002 12:04 pm    

Hi, I have a Tube Levelar in my studio rack- it's a great compressor, but like most of them it depends what sound you have in mind you're looking for. If you want a subtle leveling effect through a slightly squashed sound, the Levelar will do the trick. I often use it on full mixes where I DON"T want the compression to be heard, just be effective. Both of the Blueground Undergrass CDs here in the forum catalog were mixed through the ART Levelar. I can really recommend the FMR audio "RNC" for real nice compressor- it's a half rack size unit, would fit well on an amp or rack at a gig, and sounds fantastic- it has a "normal" compression operation that can give you some real squash if you like, but with the "super nice" button engaged, you can hit the compressor hard and it levels right out, and doesn't sound compressed! Very impressive. A whole lot of recording studios have picked up on these- folks compare it to $1000 Empirical Labs Distresssors and vintage gear, and they LIST for $200. On the net everywhere and in the audio mags. If you can find a Levelar for reasonable $, they're really nice. quite bulky for a road rack at two spaces though. Hope this helps.
Jim Wiehoff

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2002 5:17 pm    

That's great info Mark...thanks very much!
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2002 5:25 pm    

I'd highly agree with Mark about the RNC. I have racks of cool compressors--Avalons, Distressors, UREIs, dbxes, Meeks and RCAs among others. But my RNC sits right in there and holds it's own with the big boys (and sometimes even better in certain cases). It's a must have, plus it's stereo, and streets for about 175. Their ad used to say "the best compressor you can buy for under two grand..."

Mercenary Audio and Funk Logic both have inexpensive rack kits that rack up two units that look awesome.

[This message was edited by John Macy on 01 December 2002 at 05:57 PM.]

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 4:34 am    

The RNC also gets my vote. I picked one up a couple weeks ago and it is much better than others I have used at many times the price. Check it out, I think you will be surprised.
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 5:25 pm    

Good info.
I wonder. Where is the best place for the volume pedal in the signal chain? Anyone have some experience with hooking up the guitar, volume pedal, preamp, EQ, compressor, FX unit, power amp(s).

Ron