| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd's comment about Hank Williams ???
Ed Altrichter

Schroeder, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2004 7:18 pm    

Is there anything to the story that at Hank's funeral when the minister said there will never be another like Hank Williams, Jerry Byrd said "Thank God !" ?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 7:29 am    

Never heard that one before.........
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 8:00 am    

Those of us that know Jerry can not believe he would say that. He might think it but as far as uttering something bad about someone I can't believe it. I known Jerry for about 50 yrs and I have never heard him say anything bad about any performer. CC
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 8:16 am    

I'm thinking I read something akin to this in a Hank Williams bio book I saw at a library some years ago. I think the jist of Jerry's comment addressed the negative impact Hank's behavior was having on the country music scene.
You can't believe everything you read.
Paul Gibson

Kennesaw, GA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 8:57 am    

I am not speaking for Jerry Byrd nor anyone else but I read about that “story” in a book years ago so please do not take what I write as total fact for it is from a distant memory. What was written in the book told of a group of musicians talking backstage at the Grand Old Opry after Hank Williams death. One musician made the comment about Hank Williams “there will never be another like him” and Jerry Byrd replied “good”. George Morgan (I believe) made the comment “I’m with Byrd”. The context of Jerry Byrd’s and George Morgan’s comments were written in a way to disapprove of the personal behavioral problems and negative impact Hank Williams was having on the Opry and Country Music (this is also my personal opinion). Due to Hank’s personal problems he had missed several shows and was eventually fired from the Opry by Jim Denny which left a negative impression on numerous people.
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 11:39 am    

Colin Escott is certainly one of the most reliable popular music scholars. In his excellent Hank Williams biography he confirms the story by quoting Byrd's own version of what took place:

"There was a bunch of us in the hallway at WSM on January 1. George Morgan, Ken Marvin, Jim Denny, and me. Jim Denny said, 'We'll never see his likes again.' I said, 'I hope not.' Everybody looked at me like I'd blasphemed, and I said, 'You're trying to put a halo on him that won't fit.' He had a great chance and he blew it. He did as much to hurt country music as he did to help it - doing shows drunk as hell and insulting the audience. Everyone forgets that. They have short memories."

Escott adds that "George Morgan, who had been the butt of some of Hank's arrogance, broke the awkward silence. 'I'm with Byrd,' he said."

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 12:10 pm    

Thank you Ian,

I believe those are very close (if not dead on) to the facts. My question today is, in this world of condoning and flaunting sin, how many of us would add an "amen" to what Jerry said,

carl
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 12:27 pm    

Does it really make a difference what Jerry said? It was 51 years ago. Let it go

Roger

[This message was edited by Roger Shackelton on 19 June 2004 at 01:29 PM.]

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 4:24 pm    

Moved to Music from No Peddlers.
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2004 4:44 pm    

Hank hardly stands out in the number of Country stars and Musicians with hammer-lane lifestyles over the last 51 years.

Any number of Folks of any number of different characters have spoken good, bad, casually and/or carelessly about each-other. I guess that's a human nature in the grand scheme of our living and learning ...and then dying and forgetting it all.

I am thankful for all the Musician Characters who have given me such grand pleasure over the years.

Aloha,
Denny Turner~