| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reverb Noise
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 9:28 am    

I recently started to learn pedal steel...I have a house full of instruments as I have a project studio..Since I really never had a use for "clean" sounding amps, I put a MusicMan HD130 Reverb head that I had in the garage to use when I needed it...The reverb never worked on it...Now that I'm playing pedal steel, I figured I would give it a try...I took the reverb pan out to see if that was the culprit, and indeed it was...One of those little tiny wires was off...I resoldered the wire and turned the amp on, and walla, I now had reverb !!...I plugged into my steel, and it didn't sound too bad except I had this constant noise like I had a bad ground or something...It was very eveident when I turned up the reverb...Now I have a problem..I remember taking reverb pans and moving them to different locations working for me in the past, so I took the pan out and left the rca cables hooked up to it, and the noise went away..I figured that I would now have to build a seperate casing just for the reverb pan...Just for giggles I took the pan, and turned it around in the head..Right end now at the left end...To my surprise the noise stopped !!!..Something on the end of this reverb pan wreaks havic with the transformers of the M.M. head..I thought I would pass this along to others that may have a similar problem...Hope it helps somebody else besides me....Jim
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 3:27 am    

As strange as it may seem turning the reverb around may be all that is needed.
I converted a Nashville 400 to a amp head and all of sudden had noise.I posted with my problem and it was suggested that the wires where to close to the transformer.All I did was turn the reverb around and it has been fine!