| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tubefex and Transtubefex output levels
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 3:09 pm    

Just some info I picked up over on the Peavey Forum:

"The outputs are low impedance, 470 ohms on the 1/4" and 100 ohms on the XLR's. You should have no problems driving a power amp with the 1/4" outputs. They have a nominal output of 1V RMS. The Direct Out XLR outputs have a nominal output of .316V and are used primarily to go into the mic input of a mixer. I hope this helps."

There has been some question about driving power amps with these units. They appear to be quite capable of driving most any power amp.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 5:11 am    

Yes, the XLR outs are intended to be routed to the input of a mixing console. An XLR out to an amp is not necessary since the Tubefex/Transtube Fex or Profex II is usually mounted into the same rack case as the power amp. Thanks for the info Ken.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 11:51 am    

Mike: If .316 is a nominal reading for XLR lines, would you read that between the two lines or from either line to ground ? Sometimes I need to check for proper out levels and I may need to know that. Thank You !!

Regards, Paul
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 7:14 pm    

That should be pin 3 (hot) and pin 2 (common) of a balanced XLR output jack. Pin 1 is ground, not referenced to a signal voltage.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 4:59 pm    

Ken: I'm sorry ! I confused it with studio wiring where the output is from a center tapped transformer secondary with that center being grounded. The opposite end was the reverse of that as an input primary and also with a center tap on ground. I just assumed these XLRs were the same configuration: Sorry !

Regards, Paul
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 5:33 pm    

Paul, I am pretty sure its not a transformer balanced output. Most stuff now a days is differential op-amp balanced! Op amps are cheaper than transformers. Even at that, pins 2 and 3 are the signal carriers on XLR. Only exception is the Japanese standard is pin 2 hot (that was about 15 years ago, could have changed!). I must admit, I have not kept up with pro audio like I did 15 years ago!