| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ampeg Gemini II
Todd Pertll

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 5:48 am    

Has anyone had any experience with these amps?

Thanks,

Todd
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 7:39 am    

I own a Gemini II with a 15" Jensen and 7591 output tubes, bought from a forum member. One issue with these amps is NOS 7591 and 7199 tubes are hard to find, you would want to check whats in the one you are intersted in since some Geminis had 6L6 outputs.

Reverb is very nice, and at low volumes its a nice sound, very clean, and different than Fender clean.

Power wise, its fine for practice, but probably underpowered for clean steel guitar use live.

For blues 6 string guitar with a little distortion its about the perfect amount of power and a great vintage tone.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 10:21 am    

I had one in 1965, 66. I did the feedback solos, fortunately there are no recordings of that band.
Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 5:29 pm    

Yup, got one and it sounds really good in the living room with both steel and guitar. I bought it used for very cheap - the owner had switched the power tubes to 6L6s already, so retubing and replacement 7591s were not an issue.

I have a 7591-powered amp, too, and the tubes seem to break up much sooner than the 6L6s. So I like the current combo of my Ampeg very much.

I really love the 15" Jensen. And the reverb and tremolo are very UN-Fender, very sweet sounding, rich, deep. I would not recommend trying to get good distortion or overdrive with them, however.

If you can find one for less than a couple hundred dollars, go for it. It's a very nice sounding tube amp. If you're looking for that next performing amp, maybe not.