| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Trouble with humming.... & mods!!
Matt Martin

Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 1:00 pm    

I just got my guitar back from getting 2 knee levers added and what a surprise!!
It hums like crazy until I put my hand on the strings. Does anyone know what might be the problem?? It's probably something simple,
but I'm no electronic whiz. Also, anyone sending their guitar out to be modified, get refrences!!! This guy took my original factory stuff off and put some of his aluminum junk to replace it. He also took my original ShoBud knee lever and replaced it with a hunk of junk. Anyway, can someone help me with the hum?? Thanks, MM

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 1:04 pm    

It sounds like the pickup ground wire is not attached to the changer. As I recall, there sould be a wire running from the ground of your output jack to a changer mounting screw or the plate that holds the raise helper springs.
jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 8:36 pm    

Matt, Jim is probably right you have a ground loose..Its also possible that if he removed the pickup lead wires, he got them reversed..
Depending on the type of pickup, ground set up etc, it can be very easy to get the lead and ground wires reversed where they solder onto the 1/4" jack plug..

If the lead wire is on the ground lug, touching the strings or any metal on the steel will cause hum and noise just as if you touch the tip of a jack cord while pluged into the amp with your hand..

There are several ways to check this with a meter, a close eyeball look at the jack solder lugs, or touching each of the solder lugs with your finger while the amp is pluged in and on..The lug that hums is the lead lug the ground lug will make no noise at all..

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com

[This message was edited by jerry wallace on 16 October 2002 at 12:32 AM.]