| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  conventional Amp vs Stereo
Mel Davis

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 12:14 pm    

Hi Folks I have been playing steel for quite a few years and have always used a single amp that was to my liking, My equip. now is D-10 Emmons going through a Lexicon MPX 100 dual channel processor into a Peavey 1000 which is a fine sound to me. Im not into effects much only reverb & chorus. I have been looking into a Stereo system at Stereo Steel its offering Combo (amp head & preamp that goes through a Quad 4 digital processor then into two speaker cabinets 15" Black Widows. My question is, Is this a good system & will it improve my tone? I dont know a lot about the electronics that are being used today so before i spend a lot of money any help wouldbe greatly appreciated. Thanks Mel
John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 12:40 pm    

Mel ,

I play through Gerry Walker 's Stereo Steel Combo and the twin tuned cabinets he makes loaded with 15 in Black Widows .

In my opinion , this system is one of the best I have ever played through . I have had it several years with absolute zero problem .
It is not only a great sounding unit , it is one of the best user friendly preamp / amps' you are likely to find . Gerry is a nice guy to deal with to boot ! He has built this system with the steel player in mind --since he is one .

I would highly recommend the entire system . I'm sure he will attend the Dallas Steel convention in March of next year in case you have not decided by then and can give it a try in Dallas .

Hopes this info. helps !

John

[This message was edited by John Hawkins on 08 October 2002 at 05:34 PM.]

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 2:31 pm    

Mel,

I also play through one of Gerry's Stereo Steel amps and am 100% satisfied. I've had mine for about 5 years and have'nt had any problems. It's the best sounding amp I've ever played through and would highly reccomend trying one for yourself to see what you think.

I would suggest contacting Gerry and see if he can tell you of someone in your area that has one for you to try out. Good Luck!!
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 5:19 pm    

I played Peavey for years, and got by, but now for the last 2 years, I have used my Walker Stereo Steel System exclusively. I love it, and have had zero problems. I have talked to Gerry several times at the conventions, and he is a down to earth personable guy. The fact that he is a steel player as well as an engineer puts him into a unique position. Although the 'stereo' term may be a bit misleading, it is a great sounding amp. I use the Digitech Quad 4 too, and am very happy with the sound. To be a true "stereo", I think you would have to have separate pickups for each string, separate outputs on your guitar, and separate inputs on the amp. My rig has none of these features, but sounds great, nonetheless.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Where the Sun Always Shines

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 7:15 pm    

True Stereo would need two completely seperate sources of sound! (two pick-ups or two mics). Each pick-up/mic being fed into two seperate amplifiers, and out two seperate speaker systems, however; Splitting the signal into two seperate paths is the least expensive and probably the easiest way to do it. Sometimes I use a Waker S.S.Pre-Amp and the power amp sections of two Peavey Nashville 1000's, with an Alesis QuadraVerb Effects Processor, and sometimes I just use both complete 1000's with either the Quad or a Boss RV-3 and Boss CH-1. I find both ways to be satisfactory, however; I tend to lean towards the Walker Pre-Amp with the Quad and 1000 PWR-AMPS. It's pretty much a toss-up and a matter of taste any given day! I also use a Peavey TMP-1 and a Goodrich mod. 6a Super Sustain Match Box. So, you see after 54 yrs. of playing steel guitar, I'm still confused! All I can suggest is, what ever sounds best to you, GO WITH IT! But, we all know; a steelplayer is never completely satisfied! "Big John" Bechtel
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 8:02 pm    

I love mine. I have the 2x15-inch JBL's instead of the Black Widows. Also use the Quad 4. Best system I've ever played through, bar none.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 8:15 pm    

I'll have to chime in here too. I've had my Stereo Steel rig (also with JBL's) for about three years, and couldn't be happier, especially when it comes to packing up at the end of the night.
Mel Davis

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 1:14 am    

I want to thank all you steel players for your fast response to my Stereo Steel Question Im a new member and im impressed already Thanks again !!! another Question do i have to seperate the two speakers or can i stack them ? which is the best way because i play in some small places like nursing homes at times Thanks Mel
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 4:23 am    

Mel,
You can set the speakers where ever you want. Of course the placement will slightly change the sound but whatever works for the situation.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 4:42 am    

I wouldn't stack them as a routine, unless it was absolutely necessary. But I do often put them side by side, even touching each other. If there's plenty of stage room, I still only put them about a foot apart.
Just one man's opinion, FWIW.

I'm curious whether the other stereo users mike both speakers to the PA, or just one. Most of the time, we end up just miking one and I think it may not be such a good idea...

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 09 October 2002 at 05:43 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 4:51 am    

I have to stack my speakers in a few clubs with really small stages. It sounds a little different, but not bad. Most of my patches aren't really stereo, but I like the extra fullness of two speakers.

To Jimbeaux's question of miking both speakers, the sound guys only use one speaker or one line out. They're not happy about running two lines just for me, plus they say that by the time the signal gets to the PA speakers, any stereo effect would be lost anyway. In those situations, I just stay away from any stereo-heavy patches.
John Hawkins

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 7:31 am    

Mel ,

What Jim Smith said ! Plus, I might add that if and when a speaker is miked, I would suggest you not point the mike straight to the middle of the silver cone . I have found it to be better --sound wise - to point the mike ( I use Shure 57's ) off to the side of the cone ( dust cap) about a couple of inches pointing the mike directly at that spot .

Some might not agree but it works for the sound I want . Most times going straight to the board with everything on the board on a flat setting as far as the E-Q is concerned, works better for me since the Stereo Steel Combo sends out any effects you want with a little tweaking . I had rather NOT leave it up to the sound man to set my EQ's / effects.

I thought I would offer my ideas using the Stereo Steel Combo on gigs and on recordings . Some others that use this system , may have different or better ideas .

John

[This message was edited by John Hawkins on 09 October 2002 at 08:35 AM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 9:30 am    

Just another opinion....I have tried all the options and I now always stack my Stereo-Steel 15" JBL cabinets with one "dry without effects" and the other "with effects".

This set-up is the most satisfactory option that I have tried that gives the best blend of highs and lows. Mic'ing at the apex of the two speaker cabinets seems to send a good mix to the sound board. www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 09 October 2002 at 10:32 AM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 10:10 am    

I too am hooked on the Walker Stereo Steel setup!

I use a set of JBL P.A. speakers I already owned (JBL Model G730, 12" Speaker + Horn w/ built in crossover). I use a small amp stand to tilt them back.
Sounds Killer!!!

When gigging, I sometimes put both speakers a few feet out in front of me, approx 11:00 and 1:00 (or wider if space allows).
This gives me a killer stereo sound/tone where I'm sitting, and doesn't blow anyone else in the band out (volume wise).
I let someone else take care of the out front level by either micing a cab or using the Lo-Z outs.

I also set up sometimes with one speaker in front of me and one behind me. This also sounds great and takes up a bit less space than both in front.

I've done a few solo steel gigs using the Aux in's (1/4" on my unit) for a small mixing board running a vocal mic and rhythm tracks.
This works really great.
Everything runs through the Walker Stereo Steel system so hooking it up and dialing it in are really easy/fast/convienient.

If you are going to use rhythm tracks and vocals alot I would suggest going with a speaker cab with some kind of horn/tweeter.
I A/B'd a set of 15" JBL cabs against my P.A. cabs and the rhythm tracks and vocals sounded a bit muddy without the high end, FWIW.
To my ear, the low end sounds great with the 12" + horn.
Plenty of punch, and I think the horn brings out the overtones of those really low notes.
No mud down there at all.
Sounds like the low notes on a high dollar grand piano.
Cannons Away!!!

I don't have the Quad 4. I mainly use either an RV-3 reverb/delay, or a Lexicon LXP-1 reverb only.
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 1:19 pm    

I have 2 AER basic performers now. Together with my Mesa Boogie preamp that's a killer rig! www.steeljj.com

------------------
please click on the banner to reach the Steeldays 2002 website!
my web-site
my bands CODand TSC

Mel Davis

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 1:10 am    

Thanks again for all your info that i received from everyone about the stereo steel i am convinced im going to order it but dont know which speakers to order jbl or black widow any suggestions ???
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 4:39 am    

I traded the BW's that came with my SS rig with a fellow for a pair of JBL K-130's. I think the JBL's sound a little more silky, but seem to break up a little easier than the BW's. If I had it to do again I'd probably keep the BW's.
John Hawkins

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 7:17 am    

Mel,

I have no complaints at all about how the 15 in black widows' sound . With the punch that Stereo Steel Combo has , it may be easier -in my opinion - to distort the JBL'S than the Black Widows and to me , the B/W have a better sound so I would not consider changing to any other type .

Good luck with the Stereo Steel Combo if you go that route . I really think you will love it .

John
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 7:43 am    

OTOH... I also used a Twin Reverb, tilted back directly behind me for a few years recently.
Had a Nash 400 for a few years.
Nothing wrong with one amp, and it is actually less gear to carry in and set up.
There are alot of good (brands of) combo amps for steel.

Mel Davis

Addison, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 12:39 am    

well !!! I done did it, i ordered the Stereo Steel yesterday from from gerry walker with the BW speakers. Thanks again for everyones input on the subject, your input was a major factor in my decision thanks again. Mel
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 3:23 am    

Attaboy.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 3:29 am    

Concerning the question about miking one cabinet or both, why not just pick up a Combiner Box which turns 2 Low Z signals into 1 Lo Z out. (not a splitter, which turns 1 signal into 2) It is a fancy "Y" adapter, but it is the proper way to go with low Z. And, yes, place the mic off center, not in the center as suggested on another post.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 3:57 am    

Congrats Mel, and welcome to the family!

George, can you provide a link to the Combiner Box you mentioned? It sounds interesting.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 7:09 am    

Jim:
The link is: www.conquestsound.com. This is where I got mine, although it is not listed on their web. They are showing the splitter, which is much more popular. Also, check your email. I am sending you a photo of the Signal Combiner box.

[This message was edited by George Kimery on 11 October 2002 at 04:29 PM.]

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 7:21 am    

Does Gerry Walker have a website or email address?