| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amplifier Tone
Delbert Barker Sr

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 4:20 am    

I have read the comments on tone problems and one of the problems that I have found is that all places, except studios don't have the same constant voltage. Voltage drops affect the tansistors and they do not perform at their peak and this affects volume and tone.
Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 8:16 am    

This one puzzles me. Any power amp will have the DC voltages inside well below any point where they may deregulate due to line fluctuations. It would take at least a 20% drop in AC line voltage at 120VAC to pull the DC voltages out of regulation if the power transistors are operating at 50VDC rail to rail.

How did you come to find out that the line voltage was fluctuating from place to place and what were the variations? Just curious.
-Roger
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 1:33 pm    

I've had to check into this kind of thing to troubleshoot problems with analytical (lab)instruments, etc. You can get hold of this thing called a 'Dranitz Meter' that plugs into the wall and monitors voltage in real time. You just leave it there for a week or so and it records fluctuations. You can set it to flag critical highs or lows, and you can print out results over time. It does the trick...
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 1:59 pm    

I have a Tripp Light Line Stabilizer / Conditioner that I use for that reason. I used to not only play steel, but also keyboards in a band that played outside a lot. Before I got it, when the band would play a "power" chord, the power would drop low enough to re-boot my synthesizers (of course when they finished booting up, they seldom had the same program/sound that I was using when they went down - bummer). My amps would also start breaking up. This unit would keep the line voltage coming to my stuff fairly stable and I had no more problems. It also helps in clubs.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 2:07 pm    

You guys must have better ears than me! Interesting idea, though.

I'm moving this topic to the 'Electronics' section of the Forum.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2002 12:26 am    

The only degradation I've noticed when there is a (low) voltage problem is a loss in volume, and a little distortion.
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2002 3:42 am    

Would it be an idea to put a UPS between the powerstrip and the powerchord?
I know a lot of studio's work this way, I never seen this on a bandstand.
Could probably save a lot of work in programming, blown speakers etc.
JJ www.steeljj.com
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2002 3:55 am    

It's been one of my sore spots over the years, that when I worked a wedding dance or anaversary dance in certain local VFW halls, about half-way through the night, when they turned off the food cater's preasure cookers, coffee pots, etc, our amps suddenly got stronger and better sounding. This would be noticed more in the summer months when the air-conditioning units were also running hard.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2002 9:55 am    

I had a 180 watt Mesa/Boogie Bass amp for a while. I played a big hall with it once. When I turned it on, all of the lights in the place dimmed as the capacitors changed up. Very cool!

Of course, there was no digital equipment to worry about back then. Yeah, a UPS might be a good idea. They're heavy, though.

"FAX us. We'll FedEX your UPS!"

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 31 August 2002 at 10:56 AM.]

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2002 3:12 pm    

Stop colmplaining! Just be glad you arent playing a Hammond B3, when tonewheel organs get a screwy power supply, they fall way out of tune. Most hotshot organist get kinda freaky when they are playing a show outside w/ a sketchy generator.

Why do all the cool old idiosyncratic insruments come w/ so much bagage?

PSG- Cabinet drop
Rhodes/Wurlitzer- tuning issues
B3-see above post
Mellotron-dont even ask!

I guess you gotta pay to play!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2002 9:56 am    

I have an Evans 500FET that if it doesn't get enough power, it goes on strike. This has caused some awkward moments like it sounds great during the sound check and when we all start playing we discover that the entire system is plugged into a 15 or 20 watt line. Outside with generator power is also a 'red flag'.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2002 2:09 pm    

Years ago I was working a club in Pueblo, CO, and the Stage Lights were in the same circuit as the Stage Electrical Outlets. Every time the lights were dimmed, the amps. lost power and began to distort! After that I always carried a Voltage Compensator (I think it was called) or Regulator. When you set up you plug it into the wall socket and the meter tells you the voltage. Then you turn the dial until it points to 117 volts, andthen plug into it's outlet and go! However; it did not change setting when the voltage did! If the voltage went down, then you ad to turn the dial to bring it back to 117 volts. So that only solved a temporary problem! John