| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  volume pedal and Profex II
Alan Michael

Winston-Salem North Carolina U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 7:36 am    

Just bought a Profex II from Ken Fox and I really like all the differet settings, especially the Newman presets. My question is this: What is the best way to hook up the volume pedal when using a Profex II and Nashville 400. I seem to get a little unwanted noise when I go from my steel to volume pedal to Profex to amp. If I eliminate the volume pedal the noise disappears. If I eliminate the Profex the noise disappears. Any takers?

By the way, thanks again Ken. I'm really enjoying the Profex.

Thanks, Alan Michael
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 7:49 am    

Are you plugging into the front or back of the amp.Jeff's video says to plug into the back Pre Amp IN.If you plug into the front you will be amping your pre amp and you will get extra noise.Scott
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 3:21 pm    

Hi, Alan. Glad your liking the Profex 2. Over on Buddy Emmons site there was post about this. The method he used for setup is really good:

1- Turn output volume of Profex off
2- Monitor the input LED on the Profex while playing some of your loudest passages, especially with low notes. Adjust the input to where the green led is blinking ocassionally. Blinks with any red will come out as a very ugly distorted sound! These units will typically have distorted sound even before the LED is red!
3-That sets the input gain, set the output gain to match the volume the amp would be at without the Profex plugged into it (with just the steel to pedal to amp volume). If you are using the power amp input, adjust output volume pot to needed volume for performance. If you are using the front panel inputs, the Profex can overdrive the input of the amp to clipping. You will get more noise to signal ratio going into the front of the amp. A preamp into a preamp will be a bit noisy. If you do not want to use the power amp input, try input #2. It is padded -6db, that'll help keep from overdriving the frontend of the amp so bad.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2002 5:52 pm    

Allen I think the best thing to do is get some advice from Mike Brown but he may be in St.Louis now. I have a Pro Fex II and I get the best results from plugging in the back input or the number two input in the front of the amp.If I use the number 1 input in the front I hear all kinds of scarchy noises and I can even hear every time I pick a string.Oh yes I use a Nashville 400 also.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 30 August 2002 at 06:54 PM.]