| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Loooper - True Bypass Switcher
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2002 5:01 pm    

I just ran across this. Looks like a great, inexpensive switcher. Want to run multiple effects in your loop with true bypass capability?

www.loooper.com

[This message was edited by Michael Holland on 22 May 2002 at 06:09 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 May 2002 5:18 pm    

Thanks for posting that. Just today I found myself wanting something just like this. I've never seen anything like it for less than a couple of bills. I think I'm gonna get one. Cool.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 23 May 2002 4:44 am    

Is it a light box ??

Well After going to the webpage, I looked it over and think that:

I don't know just how I can use this device.
It looks good and I'm sure it works as prescribed.
I am still missing something here.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 23 May 2002 at 05:54 AM.]

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2002 10:46 am    

Hey Bill,

Some effects, particularly stomp boxes, will color (dull) your sound even when the effect is switched out. This is known as 'tone sucking'. If you plug into a chorus pedal then plug that into a delay pedal and then plug that into a tuner and then into the amp you've got some serious degradation going on. True bypass switchers allow you to remove the device(s) from the chain when not in use.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 May 2002 11:43 am    

I ordered a 2 loop box and will certainly report on it when I get it. To follow up on Michael's post, I just recently got a Pod. I've got miles to go before I can tell you if I'm gonna end up liking it or not but the biggest liability with it is that not only does it not have true bypass--it has no bypass. You can't cut it out--if you are hooked up to it you are processing your signal. Well it just happens that I also really like the sound of my amp w/o processing. The only way I can go from one to the other is by pulling cords and reconnecting. Well this box will allow me to go: guitar>>>loooper>>>amp with the pod in an effects loop. Step on a pedal and I'm a twin reverb into my Evans. Step on a pedal and I'm an Evans. Win/Win. Of course this is not an essential tool. But it's a useful device. (If the box is well made, that is--we'll see.)
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2002 11:59 am    

I like the Boss LS-2 to switch loops.
It's inexpensive and built like a tank.

It also has active trim controls for two loops. Although it is only "A-B-Y" you can add more than one together.

I looking forward to Jon's field report.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 5:34 am    

Michael....

Thanks for your responce, No pun/joke was intended toward your post. I just needed a lesson here. I have never attempted to use several different stomp-boxes chained together before. I wasen't aware of the problems one might have with this arrangement. The only problems I've ever had was I placed a tuner between my pedal and the amp. The tuner somehow always allowed a tone to bleed through. I finally went to a Korg "DTR-1" to resolve the problem.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 10:49 pm    

Jon,
You could try running the output of the POD to the effects return on the Evans and get an A/B box to choose the input of either the Evans or the POD.That way the POD sound wouldn`t be coloured by the Evans input stage. Just a thought , I don`t know if this work with the Evans eff.loop.I`ve used similar setups with other amps with good results.

Olli
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 6:51 am    

Definitely an alternative way, Olli, except that the FX loop/amp-in insert on the Evans cuts out the front panel jacks. While this would be easy to disable, I'd rather let it be.
As it is, it might be a moot point---I used the Pod for the first time yesterday in battle (rehearsal) and I couldn't get anywhere close to the promising sound I was getting playing alone. I'll attribute this to the learning curve and I'll keep working at it but I was really depressed at the possibility that another tone avenue might fall by the wayside. But that is for another thread.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 May 2002 5:11 pm    

I got my Loooper today. Hey---it does exactly what it is supposed to do. The guy is real good with email and way real good with taking care of business--I ordered it last Wed, he built it, shipped it, and I received it today. The only negative I can find is that the face panel markings are written on with a Sharpie marker. Obviously he is a small operation and is not up to speed to be screening the face. I told him about my opinions here--I don't know what to suggest but it would certainly enhance the product to have it look more professional. As it is, it doesn't bother me. I am a very satisfied customer.
BTW--I'm making progress with the Pod and I think I like it. Damn, it hurts to retire the outrigger.