G
E
C
A
G
E
C
A

Can you tell me all about the bar slants for the c6 that I play?I want information about this c6 not the others that are in other post.I do slant the bar alot but what are your ideas?I am always trying to learn more.

Thanks,Andy
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 6:49 am    

I never slanted the bar much with the C6th tuning. When I played a T-8 Stringmaster, I used slants more on the A and E necks.
Erv
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 6:53 am    

See this thread, courtesy of Rick Aiello.
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/003993.html
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 8:44 pm    

Print this:
0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  11  12  13

G---|---A---|---B---C---|---D---|---E---F---|---G---|
E---F---|---G---|---A---|---B---C---|---D---|---E---F
C---|---D---|---E---F---|---G---|---A---|---B---C---|
A---|---B---C---|---D---|---E---F---|---G---|---A---|
G---|---A---|---B---C---|---D---|---E---F---|---G---|
E---F---|---G---|---A---|---B---C---|---D---|---E---F
C---|---D---|---E---F---|---G---|---A---|---B---C---|
A---|---B---C---|---D---|---E---F---|---G---|---A---|
Now get out some colored pencils, pens or crayons.

With the red pencil, connect all of the C, E and G notes that are within a fret of each other.

With the green pencil, connect all of the F, A and C notes that are within a fret of each other.

With the blue pencil, connect all of the G, B and D notes that are within a fret of each other.

All of the common bar slants in the key of C are now right in front of you. Notice the repeating patterns. Move everything left or right for other keys.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2004 4:22 am    

Bobby Lee

Now that is a big help.I just keep trying to learn.Maybe some day the dogs for miles around want start howling when I play.
Ed Altrichter

Schroeder, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 6:19 am    

WOW ! Bobby Lee ! That chart is worth a thousand words ! Do you have a chart like that one for other tunings for 8-string non-pedal ?
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 12:21 pm    

Scott, I'm sure you learned a lot by making those charts. I think that making a chart yourself is the best way to learn a new tuning.

Frankly, my eyes glaze over when I see someone else's fretboard chart, no matter how well done. I firmly believe that these charts benefit the person who makes them far more than anyone who tries to "study" them. JMHO.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 3:38 pm    

Not answering Andy's question specifically, but related to the discussion:

I think that learning a template of scale and chord boxes in the key of C, in both alpha-letter and number form ... in whatever manner a Player pictures his/her neck navigation ...or wants to learn same; Will first provide all the alpha notes via the "C" picture, where all the sharps and flats of different scales and chords are obvious, ...and provide a mental template that can then be transposed up and down the neck in NUMBER form, without the "impossible" task for the average Musician (like me) to keep up with the specific sharps, flats and naturals of alpha-notes in even common scales and chords in every key. Knowing for EXAMPLE that a minor7 has a b3 and b7 in every key, is good enough for me without knowing the specific flat, natural and sharp notes for each specific scale / chord in the key of Bb, or even the key of G which only has one sharp. Lazy? No, ...practical for Pickers like me that haven't, find it far too difficult, can't or don't desire to know "12 to the power of 12" notes (or thereabouts) that make up all scale and chord possibilities in all keys.

And I think the best way to learn a template ... and a litmus a person can use to best guarantee they have the mental template down pat, is being able to easily draw it out on paper, just like bOb's excellent approach. Once a person can do that then they can add notes to the template that they gather from other Players' ideas.

How well does the template approach work? Well, even after studying under Jerry Byrd for a year, I still found myself playing songs and licks without much insight into how my favorite Steelers played so much in obvious congruent harmonies in all the common scale / chord types in all keys, ...right under the tone-bar. I felt there had to be a template of positions where so much correct harmony in any key could be found under the tone-bar. So I took the pencil and paper out and CASUALLY worked with it for about 6 weeks, when one night I found the modal connections and my scale / chord / substitution template jumped off the fretboard into my face like an octopus in heat. When that happened I spent the next 4-5 hours realizing I could then play any of the common scales and chords and thus almost any song west of Jerusalem and east of Tokyo, in straight-bar boxes ...that also made slant positions easily found in the template. A person can completely ignore the mode names and relate my template simply by the number system if they care to. Mode names are simply shorthand words for the 7 most common scales / chords played in western-world Music, ...much easier than spelling them out in number system form. Here is the same chart with accidentals shown under the bar; Some people have found that easier to picture, ...and might make the slant possiblities more visible for some folks.

The biggest chasm I see on the SGF between folks that take only the song / lick approach ... and those that know the fretboard, ....is knowing the simple basic music theory number system; Which most of it can be found here in a short review that's only 1 webpage and about 5-6 printed pages long.

Aloha,
Denny T~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 10 June 2004 at 05:36 PM.]