| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Good Honky-Tonk Amp?
Adrian Wulff

Portland, OR, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 7:31 pm    

I just sold my Fender Blues Deville because it was too loud. By the time I had it in the sweet spot, it was so loud that the windows were rattling the punk rock band next door was complaining about the noise. Can anyone recommend a good mid-sized amp? I play a 95 USA Telecaster and like the vintage tone of Roy Nichols and Don Rich.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 8:43 pm    

Howdy, your neighbor over in Battle Ground! You might be a candidate for a Deluxe Reverb or reissue of such. Have you had a chance to try one? I now use a 1965 Deluxe (non-reverb) with an old D130F JBL that I had reconed. On larger jobs I use the Deluxe and a 1966 Bandmaster with a custom built reproduction Fender style cabinet loaded with 2-10's. I often push the Fender's with a Profex or a Tubefex. The preamped signal and effects from these units work well to warm up the front end of Blackface amps (as the preamps were weak in these amps, due to the tone control circuits). When I am playing (attempting that is ) steel and guitar on the same gig I use a Session 400 and warm it up with a compressor for the Tele.
Adrian Wulff

Portland, OR, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 7:33 am    

Ken, thanks for the input, BG is my home town! Tell me where you're playing and I'll come by. I haven't tried the Deluxe Reverb, but I'll give it a shot. I've also never experimented with preamps or compressor pedals, but they sound like the next step. I put a Seymore Duncan Vintage Telecaster pickup in the bridge position and the next pickup I want to try is a Lindy Fralin (not sure on the spelling on that one).
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 7:38 am    

Adrian, I have been using a Peavey Delta Blues 1-15" amp, but have used the 2-10" version on a live gig. Both are all tube and work extremely well. Here's a link to the Peavey website so that you can check out the features;http:
//www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/guitaramps/deltablues.cfm http://www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/guitaramps/deltablues210bt.cfm

If you need further information concerning these models, please let me know. I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391.

Here is a Delta Blues users group website;
deltablues@yahoogroups.com
Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 7:48 am    

The Lindy F. pickup is hotter and not as "telelike". The deluxe rev is great for the volumn you want, and if you need a little more steam out of it, you can convert it to 6L6 power tubes. A pro should do this for you. If you want to save a little dough, try a silverface. It's my understanding that they are about the same as the blackface. I use and EVM speaker, which give it a little more volumebut if you want dirt a celestion 30 or original jensen type. I also tried the Peavy with the 15" in a store and am kicking myself that I did not buy it. It sounded great. Buck

------------------
Steels and Guitars. Emmons PP, Nationals, Dan-O's, ES 340, Tube Amps only! "Blue Sparks From Hell" and "Kings in Disguise".

gary darr

Somewhere out in Texas
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 12:41 pm    

I use the duncan in one of my shector tele's, I just aquired a silverface vibrolux and the tone is just right at acceptable levels. I used to play with a guitar player with a blues deville,he was allways walking all over us and biting our heads off with too much volume.I allso use a peavey classic 50 four ten combo with very good results,I will get loud if needed but you can still get decent sound at lower volumes

------------------
Sho-Bud proII custom,Session 500,American standard Strat,Shecter tele,Peavy Classic 50,Fender Vibrolux

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 7:26 pm    

I have just started using my Deluxe Reverb again and it's great. I agree that the Peavey Delta Blues amp is a good 'un also.
Even the Fender Blues Junior is surprisingly loud for its size. If I could afford it, though, I'd get the Vibrolux.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 19 March 2002 at 07:29 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 4:03 am    

Adrian, you could always tell your "neighbors" that you "are" using your practice amp and that your " Stacks" are in waiting !

I currently have a Hot Rod Delux which I use with my 52RI Tele and it is really fine, I am certain you will find it very similar to the Blues Deville which is a great amp. The only drawback may be that the stock 12" Fender classic speaker can't really handle full chords at volume. I am considering a JBL or EV as a replacement.

PS I also use this amp as my Steel practice amp as well. If I were to play a small low volume gig( if there is such a thing ) I would use this amp for Steel as well rather than the Nashville 1000.

TP

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 20 March 2002 at 04:07 AM.]

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 6:57 pm    

Adrian:
I'm with some of the others - a Deluxe Reverb will put your Tele into the sonic territory you're seeking. Roy played a Vibrolux Reverb, but that won't solve your volume problem. Since reverb is something you're probably needing - the Deluxe Reverb is worth a try. Otherwise, I might have suggested a tweed Deluxe or Harvard or something in that range. I spoiled myself and got a Victoria Soulcactus: 20 Class A watts, 2x10", with built in reverb and tremolo. It's a Princeton Reverb circuit that runs on EL-34's. It's a beautiful fit for Telecasters - part tweed, part brownface, part blackface. Original blackface Deluxe Reverbs are going for $1500.-$1800., the re-issue goes for about $900., I think. Have fun shopping.

Rob Yale
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 8:57 pm    

Of my three Teles, my best sounding one has the Seymour Duncan pickup in the lead position. The Bill Lawrence replacement pickups area all the talk on the Fender PUP forum. I am anxious to try them out soon!
Another amp that has been all the rave (even on the Fender forum!!) is the Peavey Classic 30. I would take a look at those amps. The Classic series might be your ticket, at a price that's pleasing as well.
Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2002 6:56 pm    

Fender
Blues
Junior
15W,12"spkr
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2002 7:25 pm    

I replaced the speaker in my Fender Blues Junior with a Celestian Sidewinder 150 watt speaker and this amp has teeth and can be loud. It is surprising for a small amp.
Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2002 9:32 am    

I just put a Weber Cali. series 15" in my '74 Super Reverb (thanks again Len A.)..it sounds great, and will be better with the Bassman output transformer that I am going to put in (it is now a 2ohm running a 4 ohm speaker). I also have a black panel Princeton Reverb, but that sounds terrible with the steel (old Pro ll), really middy...aweful. The Super might not have the power for a real "honky tonk" situation..unmiked, loud Teles and Twins, Buck Owens type stuff in a rowdy bar, but in a miked up setting, it is pleny of power.