| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Video Recording is a great tool
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2002 1:43 pm    

The other day I got in one of Jeff Newman's video courses for learning scales and melody work and toward the end of the tape he made a comment to video record yourself (mostly to check that you were using vibrato). I never realized that this was such a good idea. Not only can you hear when your flat or sharp but you can also see why. I found out from video recording myself the reasons why I was having different problems and can now correct them. With just audio recordings, you only hear whats good or bad, but with video you can see why.
I'm curious to know if anyone else has ever done this.
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2002 2:12 pm    

My wife quite often brings our camcorder to the gigs, or runs the bandleader's camcorder. I think it's really useful, once you get used to always having the darn thing pointed at you. Watching the tape, I find that some of the things I played that I thought were really good, were not that great, and some of the things I thought were lousy were the ones that sounded really good! I hadn't really used the video for visually checking my vibrato, etc., cuz I know my physical technique is already perfect...