| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Brown - A Question
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2002 6:14 am    

I have a Nash. 400 factory mod. It is my favaorite amp of many I own. Sounds incredible on a live CD I played on last week. Anyway, it started cracking and popping and making loud noises on me during the same gig. I finally had to switch to another amp. It does this without warning, and it comes and goes, intermitently.
This really p***** me off, because it sounds SO good when it works properly. Any advice on what to do? Thanks, JC
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2002 9:33 am    

Jody, Check your Reverb connection. Mine was doing it and that's what it was. A ground wire had worked loose from the Molex connector. See if it does it with the Reverb turned off or down. If the problem stops that's where it is. How am I doing Mike B. and Jack S.?

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2002 10:25 am    

Thanks Craig...I'll check it.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2002 11:18 am    

Doing great. That could very well be the problem.
Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2002 5:48 pm    

Jody just KICK it that always helps a Peavy!It did my old ones I had for 18 years, but the new 1000's I have not had to resort to that yet!
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2002 7:08 am    

Jody, I checked with one of our amp tech and he couldn't pinpoint the problem, but said that it could be caused by an intermittent jack, bad solder joint or it could be a defective component. It's hard to determine, but if the reverb is on, check for the same symptom with it off. Then you will have an idea of where to go with this. Here is a link to our dealer service center search;
http://www.peavey.com/html/locator.cfm

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me here at the factory toll free. Our number is 1-877-732-8391. I'll be glad to assist.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2002 8:54 am    

Thanks Mike. I've tried 'em all and always come back to Peavey. You guys are great. I have a new Nash. 1000, and it's great, but there's really something special about this particular Nashville. If I can't figure it out, I'll be in touch. Thanks again, JC
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2002 8:59 am    

I unplugged the reverb connection, and used the amp on the job last night with an Alesis Nanoverb.

No problems at all, so it must be in the reverb connection, although I found no loose wires on the connector. Guess I'll just use an external reverb unit with it.

Thanks guys, JC
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2002 12:06 pm    

Jody, the usual problems with the reverb I/O connector is either just a poor connection that can be fixed by spraying contact cleaner or both the male and female pins, or worse case, one of the female pins is too big and needs to be bent slightly (and carefully) to make a better mechanical contact.

Rarely is there an actual broken wire type problem.

Hit both ends with contact cleaner and plug the connector back in. That usually takes care of 98% of the problems.
Michael Maese

Fayetteville, AR
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2002 2:29 pm    

One of my Nashvilles developed the same symptoms, and I unplugged the connector so that I could continue to use the amp until I could get it on the bench. It turned out that the four reverb-connector pins that are soldered into the circuit board had developed cracked solder joints. I had to remove the circuit board (an involved job that requires unscrewing all the pots) and resolder the four pins.
The solder joints on these pins seem to provide most of the mechanical stability and strain relief for the reverb connector. I suppose that the vibration from hauling the amps around (not to mention playing through them) might eventually take its toll on these solder joints. My second Nashville developed the same problem a couple of years later. Good Luck.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2002 3:22 pm    

That is the only thing I found wrong with Peavey amps. The connectors should be 1/4 inch plugs, or RCA connectors. At least you could change the bad cord on the fly and finish the night. Maybe in Mississippi they plug everything in with Molex connectors.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele