| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Resistor
Bill R. Baker

Clinton, MS USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2002 6:43 pm    

How would the tone of the guitar be affected if a resistor were placed on the jack? Or
in the case of an Emmons, if the size of the
resistor on the pot were changed? Thanks
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2002 9:33 pm    

Generally, a resistor will not affect the tone...only the how fast (or how slow) the volume comes on. But, there's a lot of variables here, so each case is unique. More importantly, remember that any resistance added in the signal path will lower the power, or available volume. I have never been able to get the sound I want from a low powered amp, or even a big amp, with the volume controls turned to anything but full-on, or nearly so.

But that's just me.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 6:28 am    

To get the best possible full range freq responce from the instrument,if possible one should not use any kind of resistance in-line or across the P/U. Any Tech will tell you this. A resistance across the jack will result in:

1) A set amount of signal to the amp.
2) A roll-off of freq responce at certain freqs,depending upon the value of the resistor.
3) Is self-defeating the very need for EQ.

If you restrict the freqs that make the instrument sound good, EQ equipment is a waste of money.

Being that I'm haveing a somewhat senior moment right now, I think that a resistance value will roll-off the bass responce and a cap will roll-off the high freqs.

Needless to say, anything you place across or in-line with the signal line will affect the resultant sound.
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 7:47 am    

Please clarify: Do you want to put the resistor in series with the line or in parallel? We can only assume that you mean in parallel, but can't be sure. Also, what are you trying to accomplish?
Bill R. Baker

Clinton, MS USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 8:01 am    

Thanks for your responses. What I want to do
is roll off the highs without affecting the
bass strings. In other words the small
strings are thin to me. I am using the
BL-710 pickup. Thanks again
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 8:06 am    

First of all, asking anyone about how something's going to sound if you do something is going to get you a bunch of different answers, all of them trying to describe a sound and having a sound described to you doesn't really tell you anything. The only way to test effects of component changes in a circuit is to do them and listen. I DON'T mean start soldering junk into your amp or steel. Here's what to do: Set up your amp and steel somewhere and turn on the amp. Grab a guitar cord with an unscrewable metal end. Unscrew the cords' end cover so the cord's connections are exposed at the end that plugs into the steel. If you want to test a cap or resistor in parallel (across both the center lead and the ground shield braid) you can just hold it on there with one hand while picking strings on the steel with the other. Or, you can use alligator clip-leads so you can sit at the steel and actually play with the part clipped into the circuit. Then unclip the part and play again and you can hear the part in and out of the circuit. You'll get some hum doing this because of the unshielded clip leads. If you want to test a part in series, use a cord you don't mind messing with, unsolder the center connection and do the rest the same way as above except connection the part one end to the unsoldered cord wire and the other end to the jack where you unsoldered it from. That may seem like a lot to go through just to find out what something sounds like, and I'm sure some will say "forget it". It's the only real way to find out and therefore I think it's worth it I you really want to know. I pick my tone capacitors for my guitars this way. By the way, not entirely on the same subject but speaking of resistance, if your volume pot doesn't drop the resistance all the way down to zero ohms when it's all the way up, you lose some high frequencies. I've found many pots have levels of resistance, some quite high, when turned all the way up and this should not be. You have to unsolder one of the connections if you want to check it.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 24 January 2002 at 08:09 AM.]

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 8:15 am    

Short answer: If all you want to do is roll off some highs, you can use a capacitor of .001 to maybe a .002, and you want it in parallel, that's one end connected to center and one to ground. You would have to pick the value of the cap according to just how much of the highs you want rolled off. Keep in mind, other times you might not want that. You could get an e.q. box, that way you don't do anything permanent. Or solder the cap into one cord, use it when you want to roll off highs. If you're used to soldering and making mods on guitars you could put a miniswitch somewhere to select between 2 caps, with a center-off position. I did this on one of my guitars that had no tone control and was too bright, works great.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 8:23 am    

Bill R. Baker

Bill Lawrence makes a little box called I-Q 1200 for use with his pickups. It lowers the harsh high midrange sound. Maybe you would like it and maybe you wouldn't. The one control lets you dial it out to where it does nothing, or very little, or a big change.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 8:57 am    

If you want to get rid of the highs (and make your guitar sound like an MSA) why not just cut the highs on your amp?? That's why they have EQ controls on amps. No need to add anything external to kill tone.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 9:19 am    

....now Jack.....
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 10:59 am    

Ok, Gene. I'll qualify that to "all I've heard"...
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 11:58 am    

Now im confused.I thoght the HIGHER the resistance rating of pickups..the 'fatter' or bassier the sound .
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 1:07 pm    

You're right Steve, but in the case of a pickup it's not the resistance itself that makes that fatter tone as much as it's because more wire makes more output, more capacitance (also causing less highs and more mid) and inductance. The higher resistance is because of the high number of turns of wire. And anyway that's what we've been saying here, more resistance, less highs although the question was about inserting a resister into the circuit, not a pickup with more resistance.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 24 January 2002 at 01:49 PM.]

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 1:24 pm    

Or just turn the treble all the way up and make it sound like (whatever it is Jack plays). I've got a Sho-Bud with a 710 pickup and a stock MSA and both of them practically tear your head off with treble if I play them in my old '82 Music Man amp with EV speaker even with the bright switch off and the treble on 0! Bill didn't say what kind of amp he's using. It could be like my MM. I doubt he doesn't know what his amps tone knobs are for.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 24 January 2002 at 08:47 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 3:15 pm    

------------------
Franklin D-10
Fender Nashville Tele

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2002 8:49 pm    

Ah, OK.
Bill R. Baker