| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band in a Box - beginner?
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2001 11:20 am    

I see that Mike Ihde has an offer on lots of tunes in BIAB format. I'm new to using my computer for music - I have an old hardware sequencer which uses Standard Midi Files. Can I construct tracks on my PC then convert them to SMF files on a floppy to load them into my sequencer?
I have a drum module with very good sounds ,and a good piano module (I'd be doing all the guitars, bass, etc. for real). Can I get a pro results, or is this just a tool for making practice tracks?

Thanks for your help,
Tony Harris.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2001 5:45 pm    

Tony, visit the BIAB web site. That will give you the info on it. www.pgmusic.com
Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2001 7:51 pm    

I was told Version 11 is out now. If u have version 10 there is an upgrade avail. Also an upgrade for Megapack!

------------------
ree-00-dee-doo

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2001 9:31 am    

I love BIAB. It took me a while to get up enough nerve to fool with it but now I use it all the time. I don't know about exporting files to a sequencer, though. I purchased a unit several years ago made by Alesis called the "Data Disc". I don't know why they quit making it, but I can export my BIAB files to this unit and put them on floppy disks for playback. I can store approx. 25 song files on one disk and if I need more, I just record to another disk. It works great.
Erv
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2001 2:00 pm    

Does anyone use BIAB with a laptop? What kind of sound card do you use? Do you have to put a midi card in the computer?
John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2001 11:17 pm    

ooops!!

[This message was edited by John Paul Jones on 11 December 2001 at 11:36 PM.]

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2001 12:00 pm    

There are a couple types of SMF files so I am not sure which one(s) your sequencer can read. BIAB version 11.0 should be able to generate a SMF file to fill your needs. It would be best to check exactly what your sequencer requires and then check with the BIAB folks to see if all is cool. BIAB is a neat program to practice with if you have not used it and the cost is fair. The tracks produced can get you started towards a 'Pro' recording but will require additional editing with a sequencer program to get something which sounds non-mechanical. The program is fun to mess with and will give you many ideas if nothing else.

[This message was edited by Robert Parent on 13 December 2001 at 12:05 PM.]