| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B L 710 review.
Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2001 9:34 am    

Saturday night, I played my first gig after replacing a George L E-66 with a Bill Lawrence 710 in my E-9th neck. After getting tuned up, and leaving the knobs on my pre-amp as they were before, my first impression was that I had the cables reversed on my volume pedal. The "MID's" were much more dominant and the highs, that I was accustomed to, seemed to be missing. We were playing a small venue, so the volume level was very low. As the night progressed, I got used to the sound, but I tweaked the highs up a tad. I might add that the lower strings came through cleaner and more dominant. I guess that's what others call "String Seperation".This review is not to recommend or slam either pickup. I just wanted to share my first impression with anyone interested. Having spent 27 years around Navy Aircraft precludes me from being a "Sound Consultant".
Leon
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2001 10:16 am    

Check the distance between the pickup and the strings. The distance can be critical. I have 710's on my Franklin and they are a "loose" 3/16". 3/16" is the recommended distance between the pickup and the strings. That distance is much different than a lot of George L's pickups which only require the thickness of a quarter.

I had Lawrence 705's on my Franklin before and I didn't lose any highs or lows, and the main thing I got was more separation between the strings.

Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2001 1:13 pm    

Jack, When I installed the 710, I set the high end at 1/8 and the low end 3/16. I took it for granted that I would get credit for following the instructions of Bill Lawrence. He also states that "then You adjust until the desired tone is found". As of yet, I have not tried this. Too busy doing HoneyDo's and cleaning house for Thanksgiving. I would like to take this time to wish everyone a "Happy Thanksgiving". My very best, Leon
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2001 3:50 pm    

When I got mine, 2 years ago, the 3/16" was what Mr Franklin told me to set them. When he saw my guitar with the pickups installed he told me I had them at the right distance and that they should not be any closer.

I have a friend with a 2 year old Legrande II that has the 710's installed. He initially set them relatively close to the strings but was never satisfied with them as they didn't have the sound he expected and didn't have the sustain they should. He readjusted them farther away and he now has sustain and better sound.

I've never seen the Bill Lawrence installation instructions. The ones I have didn't come with any instructions (other than what Mr Franklin told me), nor did the original L710's that I bought directly from Bill.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2001 4:45 pm    

I'm the friend Jack referred to and he is right.
When I set the distance at 3/16" I got the sustain and tone I was looking for.
Setting the 710's too close to the strings causes too much draw from the magnets and cuts down on the vibrating string and loss of sustain.
Don
Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2001 5:55 am    

Gentlemen, This was copied from the Bill Lawrence Web Site.

Start with 1/8th" spacing at the high strings and 3/16th" spacing at the low strings, and then you can raise or lower the pickup accordingly, depending on the instrument, your style of playing, etc. - until it sounds right to your ears.

In my original post I was trying to convey the differences I discovered between the two pickups, BL 710 and GL E-66, with all things being equal. It was stated on this forum that "the E-66 could not compare with the 710". At the time I thought that was an asinine statement. One can compare anything to anything. After switching pickups, I left my pre-amp and E Q settings the same as I usually do with the E-66. I found that the E-66 has more "Highs" ,less "MID's" and a little less "Lows". Perhaps for the guys that had their OX gored, the 710 has More "LOWs", more" MIDs" and less "HIGHs". I feel that either pickup could work for Me. I honestly believe that most of us will tweak the EQ knobs until we arrive at the tone We think is best. I purchased the BL 710 because bob, for whom I have great respect, said that the 710 produced all the frequencies and one could EQ out the offending frequencies. I've had time to experiment and I'm finding this to be true. The 710 should be good for those rare venues that no matter where the knobs are set, the tone seems to really suck. If You have been picking in the "Skull Orchards" of Country Music, I'm quite sure you have found this to be true once in awhile. I'm out of here. Leon