| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  my volume pedal
Mike Bieber

New York, N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2001 6:30 pm    

I was recently told that my tone would be significantly better if I replaced my current Ernie Ball volume pedal with a Goodrich or other type. He mentioned something about the impedance of the pot. Is this true? Could I simply replace the pot with one that is of the appropriate value?

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2001 6:47 pm    

Where I don't know what value pot is in the Ernie Ball, I do know that a 500k pot is generally what most "standard" volume pedals that we use come with. There are other versions, but Goodrich is a great pedal. The 500k pot (Clarostat) that is used in the Goodrich model 120 and L120 has a special taper for our applications in volume and expression control. I have never compared these with original Emmons and Sho-Bud volume pedals or with the Dunlop or Ernie Ball. I have seen alot of volume pedal discussion here on the forum so you could do a search for those topics and I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for. Regards.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2001 8:24 pm    

Sorry Mike, "good tone" doesn't come from a pedal.

(Yeah...I figure I'll get some arguments on this one.)
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 3:05 am    

Yeah Donny you're right, we all know where good tone comes from....the first pre-amp tube in your '66 Twin Reverb!!!
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 1:36 pm    

Donny,
With respect, we all know that a volume pedal with the wrong value pot will detract from the tone, and, historically, a Clarostat 500K log pot has proved to be the best. I don't see any difficulty in putting one in the Ernie Ball pedal.
gary darr

Somewhere out in Texas
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 4:23 pm    

I use a E B pedal with a 500K George L pot,works great for my needs

------------------
sho-bud,session 500,american standard strat,shecter tele,peavy classic 50

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 6:10 pm    

Richard...a volume pedal with the wrong value pot will affect the volume, and maybe the tone. But, that's not a reason to replace the pedal, as Mike asked...only the pot!
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2001 5:27 pm    

I played an Ernie Ball pedal for years. They use a 250k pot instead of a 500K. I can honestly say: I put a 500 in the Ernie Ball and could not tell .05 cents difference in tone or volume. Your mileage may vary. My only objection to the Ernie Ball is the angle. The new ones are unacceptable because the input and output jacks are located on the front of the pedal instead of the sides. I am now using Goodrich pot pedals and I am reasonably satisfied with their performance. JMO
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 6:22 am    

A long long time ago, in another galaxy, we used to put a fixed resistor across the hi connection and the arm of the pot. Folks said that would give you "The Chalker Tone."

Some even went so far as to have a switch that would put it in or out. Phil (Goodrich) said it did't actually affect the tone but in upsetting the taper of the pot, it simply made the highs come in later in the travel. I'd say tone or volume is in the ears of the Beholder. I myself wouldn't know but I used it for awhile and there was a difference.
What the difference was caused by is what I don't know.

Regards, Paul
Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 2:31 pm    

Mike,

I have used a 500K pot in a Ernie Ball pedal for years. I replaced the original 250K pot myself. It sounds just like any other pot pedal. I currently carry a Goodrich because it is lighter in my seat, but nothing can hold a candle to the Ernie Ball for strong mechanical design.

Bill
Mike Bieber

New York, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 6:31 pm    

Thanks all. Glad I don't have to shell out the $$$ for a new pedal (didn't think my Ernie BAll sounded bad anyway--my technique is another story). This debate sorta borders on the esoteric in a way: like audiophiles arguing the merits of $1000 interconnect cables or green markers on the CD.