| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  lexicon lxp-1 and lxp5 effects units
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 7:59 pm    

I would like to get some feedback on the lxp1 and lxp5 units. How do you like them and are they good with steel guitar. Thanks a bunch,, Buck
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2001 8:33 pm    

Buck, if you have it in your mind that you need to sound better, you need a Whuppin!!
If you sounded any better you would have to dye your hair black to keep it from turning yaller when you got that Cajun thing going.
Sorry, I don't know the serious answer to your question. I just don't think you need any more stuff. Oh, I will see you in a couple of weeks. I sure would like some more of those neat little oranges.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 04 October 2001 at 09:34 PM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2001 5:26 am    

Hi, Buck
I used the LXP-5 for several years. It lives in my studio now, but it is a great device. Lexicon has always been known for great reverbs. The LXP-1, as I recall, is solely a reverb unit and the LXP-5 has dozens of other delay / phase-flange-chorus / pitch shift - octave up - down / auto wah-wah, etc. - in addition to reverb.

As you're probably aware, John Hughey uses these units and I believe he uses the LXP-1 for reverb and the LXP-5 for delay. He has one or two little switches on the leg of his guitar to enable/disable.

PROS: They sound GREAT. Low noise, rich reverb, great effects.
CONS: Changing from one effect to another requires you to use a knob on the front. If you use that knob very much, it tends to get dirty and sometimes not work properly. There is no display telling you which effect is currently on. I'm pretty sure John told me he just uses one for each box and doesn't change them. Programming the LXP-5 is not easy. More difficult than an old VCR .

When I used my LXP-5 on stage, I spent about a week studying the manual and programming useful effects. You can store them in the 'USER PRESETS' and either use the knob on the front or use an external pedal that sends MIDI signals to change from one effect to another.

Bottom line: it's a bit like an old push-pull (we BOTH know what that's like ). It sounds really great, but changing the setup on it can be difficult.

Hope this helps.
For more reviews click here for LXP-1 and here for LXP-5.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2001 12:54 pm    

Thanks guys . I need all the help I can get. You know us steel players (never satisfied) ha ha . And Jerry , I'll see if I can find some of those cool little oranges before we come to Hot Springs. Buck
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2001 3:49 pm    

Hey Buck,
Whenever I record, I always use my old
LXP-1 along with an all tube preamp
which I built from scratch. They're one
of the the fullest, richest sounding
reverbs out there. I haven't tried their
newer stuff, but the LXP-1 is 90%
dedicated to just reverb.