| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Boss DR-5 Users Out There?
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2001 6:37 am    

Just got a used DR-5 rhythm machine with a few pre-programmed tracks for steel. However, I'm not crazy about the tracks and I find it pretty hard to program myself.

For starters, I'd like to modify some of the drum kits to fit better with a simple 2-beat country tune or a shuffle.

Any experienced users out there with any advice?

Thanks.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 23 September 2001 at 07:40 AM.]

Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2001 12:28 pm    

Steve,I can't give you any personal guidance but here is a link to a DR-5 site. There is also a software editor/librarian there which has a download that might help you. www.rubicsys.demon.co.uk/paul/dr5.htm
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2001 1:24 pm    

I got my DR-5 from Billy Cooper in Va. he has come up with a quite simple way to understand it. give him a call and I'm sure he will help ya out. I wouldn't trade mine for the world, and force feeds me to play the melody. God Bless, and I hope this helps
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2001 4:29 pm    

Steve,Joe is right. Billy Cooper (Billy Coopers Music, Orange, VA) has created quite a few things to help simplify the use of this machine. Recommend you give him a call and discuss it with him.
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2001 8:04 am    

There is a video available on how to program this thing, which I have, but I agree...it's not easily figured out.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2001 8:36 am    

Tony, where did you buy the video? I have a DR-5 still new in the box that I have never used because of the difficulty programming it.

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 27 September 2001 at 09:40 AM.]

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 1:20 pm    

Gene, who can remember? I don't remember where I bought the DR5 either!!
But I will review it and make it available to you or others if you/we can pool our respective knowledge about this wonderful/hateful DR5 thing. All we want to do is program some good country songs.
It sure does have some good sounds, though.
Gene Jones

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2001 7:05 am    

I would be happy to accomplish (in simple steps, 1, 2, 3, etc) how to assemble from the pre-recorded DR-5 material, just one, (2 or 3 chord), backup for a simple song.

If I can ever get that far, I can handle everything else.

The DR-5 is the most frustrating thing I have ever tried to do and failed....seems to me that if a person could learn to use a computer including web-design in less than a year, that the DR-5 would be a snap. Wrong! Wrong!

I am still looking for the "ah ha, I finally figured it out" to suddenly appear, but I have developed a brain-lock and it has me completely "whipped".
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2001 7:57 am    

Quote:
The DR-5 is the most frustrating thing I have ever tried to do and failed....

This thing's a real PISSER, isn't it?

I got hold of mine, and after ~2 hours of fuytzing with it, I promptly sent it off to Billy C, for programming. He HAS done a nice job of it, I must say, but there are things that I feel like I really need to change to suit my particular taste. I'm also not to enamoured with all the 'Holy Roller' programming that is included.

The link that Larry has provided above has a FAQ list that I found very helpful. I AM getting slowly better at using this thing, but it's frustrating as all get out, I must say.

We need some kind of support group for this thing, I think.

Repeat after me:
'Lord, I recognize that I am powerless to control the Boss DR-5, and I humbly ask for your Divine Assistance in programming correct chord progressions and drum kits...'

Whirl 3 times to the East and then...
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2001 12:15 pm    

I use one for practicing a lot. One of the basic things to do is find an exisitng pattern with a drum beat you like, copy the pattern to a new user location, erase all the tracks but drums, write in a simple bass line, comp in piano chords on beats 1 and 3 and you have a very useful pattern. I write my patterns, patch them together to make a song, down load them to a Peavey Midi-Streamer, store them on a 3 1/2" floppy, and then use the Midi-Streamer as the device to play the DR-5. You load a ton of songs on a floppy! You could use a computer to do the same, but a Midi_streamer is 19" rack mount and very friendly to use.
Gene Jones

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2001 4:18 am    

Ken, what you said makes sense to me and is what I want to do with the DR-5.....My problem is, that so far I have been unable to learn how to do it!

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 30 September 2001 at 05:18 AM.]

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2001 8:19 pm    

click & read this

[This message was edited by Russ Wever on 30 September 2001 at 09:19 PM.]