| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it the Reverb ?????
John O Keeffe

Co Waterford Ireland
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 10:16 am    

I play through a Peavey Triumh Valve amp ,but noticed lately that everytime I turn up the reverb a hum came into the amp.

This was happenening only now and again and I had learned to "live " with it.Sometimes turning the amp on and off solved the problem.

Last night however even with the reverb turned down(off) the hum was constant,and I noticed too a slight distortion even though my settings are clean.The hum remained even when I plugged out the lead from the steel.

I use much the same settings for both tele and steel but I depress the "Bright" button when switching to steel.

Would anyone have any idea what could be wrong?...........JOHN
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 10:49 am    

Many of the Peavey amps have a white or cream colored nylon "Molex" connector for the Reverb I/O. This connector is a trouble spot and can cause the problems you describe.

If your's has this type of connector, try unplugging and then either spray some contact cleaner on both the male and female connectors and then plug it back in. If you don't have any contact cleaner sometimes just unplugging and plugging back in will help.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 11:40 am    

Had the same type of problem with an LTD 400, ended up replacing the power supply filters, problem solved. I just sold a Triumph 60, had one of the filters go bad in it. It's difficult to get caps from other sources that will fit in the restricted space on the board. Recommend getting them directly from Peavey. If you have a scope, you will be able to see the ripple on the caps right away. There are, of course, other problems that can cause the hum. Just thoght I'd throw out my experience wtih it. Best of luck!!
John O Keeffe

Co Waterford Ireland
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 1:52 pm    

Jack I have a friend whose into electronics and he said he'll check it out on monday.....in the meantime I am playing through a Fender Twin Chorus and its terrible for the steel!

Roll on monday
What do you think of the Triumph 60's as a Steel amp Ken?

Thanks for the tips!........JOHN
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 2:45 pm    

There is a possibility that a 12AT7 tube socket has a probem or the tube itself is defective, which can be replaced easily. Other possibilities are that the Molex that Jack mentioned above is oxidized and needs cleaning. Another possibility is the filter caps are defective.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to e-mail our Repair Assistance Techs at "repair@peavey.com" or for parts, contact your Peavey distributor at;
Peavey Electronics Ltd.
011-44-1536-461234

I hope this helps. Thanks for using Peavey products. Our website address is www.peavey.com

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2001 5:19 pm    

John;
The first thing I'd have your tech do is check the solder joints. After a period of time bouncing around in the car (trailer, bus, truck, whatever...) they need to be gone over and redone. In my case, almost every time this has fixed the problem. Also check and clean the connector contacts. Then go on to replacing parts. I've replaced parts and still had the problem, but resoldering fixed it.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
John O Keeffe

Co Waterford Ireland
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2001 3:55 am    

Thanks for all the hints I'll be putting all you suggestions foward to my Tech friend on monday or tuesday.

I bet he'll wonder how I know so much!

JOHN