| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using a POD
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 9:08 am    

I am doing a recording session this evening and it may turn out that I have to use a POD to go direct into the board. I've never used one for steel and would greatly appeciate some "setting" suggestions before this evening. I think I have seen posts where people mentioned that there was a steel mod for the POD -- however, I have to go into the session assuming that this is a standard model. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! Boo
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 11:16 am    

Just following up -- I have the session this evening so I was really hoping to hear from someone. Thanks, Boo
Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 12:06 pm    

Hi Boo, Here are my settings for POD.When going into a console preamp turn the output level full blast(best signal to noise!),Drive control completely counterclockwise or off, low 2 o'clock, mid 12 o'clock, treble 2 o'clock, channel 2-3 o'clock. The 2 two best amp models for steel IMO are the Blackface Deluxe and Modern Class A. There is a toggle switch between the two output jacks that should be set to direct.The steel mod only makes the amp models cleaner with the drive knob in the off position and improves a bit on background hiss. If you like that thin Mooney tone then try the Fender Twin model, which is on the second layer of amp models, and can be accessed by holding down the tap/hold button and turning the amp models knob to blackface. Bonne Chance Mon Ami!
Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 12:07 pm    

Hi Boo, Here are my settings for POD.When going into a console preamp turn the output level full blast(best signal to noise!),Drive control completely counterclockwise or off, low 2 o'clock, mid 12 o'clock, treble 2 o'clock, channel 2-3 o'clock. The 2 two best amp models for steel IMO are the Blackface Deluxe and Modern Class A. There is a toggle switch between the two output jacks that should be set to direct.The steel mod only makes the amp models cleaner with the drive knob in the off position and improves a bit on background hiss. If you like that thin Mooney tone then try the Fender Twin model, which is on the second layer of amp models, and can be accessed by holding down the tap/hold button and turning the amp models knob to blackface. Bonne Chance Mon Ami!
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 10:52 am    

Glenn, what 'steel mod'?
Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 11:50 am    

I don't know if you could call it a steel mod. When I bought my POD it had a version 2.0 chip in it. Line6 offers a 2.1 chip which is a little less hissy on the clean settings and also gives a little more headroom on the drive knob. This means that the cleanest amp settings are a bit cleaner, but only with the drive knob in the off position, otherwise it works and sounds the same way as it did before. Do a search for Pod on this forum, there were a few threads about it. Gary Morse is the Pod Guru for steel guitar, so you might want to get in touch with him, if you know what I mean, wink,wink,nudge,nudge, say no more, say no more. It would be great if Line 6 came out with a chip for steel guitarists, that had models of all the great steel amps.
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 12:27 pm    

Glenn,

err... I think it's actually the version 2.2 and I find the hiss is almost completely gone. With that chip I wouldn't even think of selling that bean.

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - Regal RD45 - fender hotrod deluxe

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 8:04 pm    

You need to get into the Soundiver program thru your computer and shut off the boosts and drives that are set standard for guitar. You will then have a clean starting point for steel. You can also set your decays and delay times for reverb and delay, and shut off the bright setting. Do this? Sounds great!
Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 8:33 am    

Jeff,
not being very familiar with the POD, my interest in your question may seem somewhat simple and probably could be explained in their operational manual, but like I said, I'm not familiar with the unit, neither do I have a manual. However, I do have a freind who has and uses the POD. He has shown much interest in learning about it and I would like to know more about it as well. I may be considering getting/using one myself soon.

Is it my understanding that you can adjust he parameters of the POD by the use of the computer? If so, how is this done, does it require a certain computer program, and how do you connect it to the computer? I'm sure that he and I will both benefit form your answer and there may be others on this forum who could gain from you aparent knowledge of this unit as well.

Thanks, Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 02 August 2001 at 09:35 AM.]

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 9:26 am    

Sorry! Martin you are correct. The newest chip is the 2.2.
Rainer Hackstaette

Bohmte, Germany
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 9:44 am    

Dave,

the POD comes with a CD ROM. On this CD there is an editing program called SoundDiver, made by emagic, a German software company - but don´t worry, everything is in English.

You have to have a Windows or Mac computer with a soundcard that has MIDI, and a CD ROM drive. Install the software, connect the computer to the POD, using 2 standard MIDI cables, and start the program. Then you can edit ALL parameters of the POD´s 32 soundpatches with the software. It´s all described in the manual (RTFM!) And there is a POD patch exchange on Line 6´s website, where you can download (for free!) other users´patches. And there are hundreds of them. Visit their site: www.line6.com - all the info is there.

It´s REAL easy, even I was able to do it.

The POD is a great unit for guitar, and that´s what I use it for. For steel there is IMO not enough headroom: it distorts too soon due to the high impedance that the steel pickups usually have. And turning up the output level will bring the hiss level up, also. Try one out for steel before you buy it.

------------------
Remington D 10 8/8, Session 400 LTD
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 1:58 pm    

The great thing of Vs. 2.0 ist that you can access all relvant parameters from the POD it self without a computer program.

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - Regal RD45 - fender hotrod deluxe

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 12:45 am    

Thanks Rainer,
thats valuble info. It's good to hear from those who have experience with a product before you buy!

I think this is really where the forum excels. When you need to know something there is always someone who has the answer. Much better than bickering over "opinions!" Don't you think so?

Dave
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2001 9:21 am    

You can hook up the POD from it's midi ports to your gameport on your computer as well. I have a laptop, and it works great.

I found the Fender Twin "head" with the Reverb Deluxe cab. to be a great setting...but I definitely need to get the 2.2 chip, as there is a lot of "hiss".

Danny
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 10:04 am    

Just got the 2.2 chip. Totally eliminated the hiss. Super quiet now. If anyone is interested in some settings, I can email them the Tone Library to pull them from. Only about 6kb. Tiny file.

Danny