| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installing LeMay Mod
tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 1:53 pm    

Hi guys,
I have a Session 500 that I'm thinking of installing the LeMay mod. Has anyone done this? Is it feasible to do this yourself or should it be something that you let a shop do?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 2:07 pm    

If you're not experienced with soldering (and unsoldering) on printed circuit boards, I'd say you are better off having a tech do it.

I haven't looked at the mods, either the Lemay or Peavey but I assume it's more than just swapping out some Op-Amp chips. PC boards tend to be fairly fragile and can be damaged easily even with a typical low wattage PC board iron.

I don't want to take a sale away from John, but I like the Session 500 with the original op amps better than the replacements. I tried the replacements in the Session 500 I used to have and didn't like the tone. I went back to the original 4558 op amps.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 3:28 pm    

If you're good at soldering, and desoldering, and have worked with fine-track PCB's, then you could probably do it. If not, it's worth finding a tech who will do it for you. Some of the LeMay mods are all plug-in, and some require removing and resoldering small dual in-line ICs. You'll need a desoldering bulb, or fine guage solder-wick, and a pair of miniature needle-nose pliers, to do the removal. (And, a low wattage soldering pencil.)
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 3:49 pm    

I agree with the above. I've done three Peavey mods for Nashville 400 amps. It requires good soldering skills. You'll also have to be capable of identifying the replacement caps and resistors that are sent(knowing resistor color codes, cap color codes, and cap ID codes);otherwise, you'll need a meter to check the cap and resistor values.
jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 6:40 pm    

Tim, I have installed both mods..I agree with the other guys..If you have some experience with pc boards and desoldering go for it..Most of it is pluging in IC chips..but there is some soldering/desoldering..If you dont, a local tech should be able to do it if you dont want to ship the amp..

------------------
Jerry Wallace- "98 Zum: D-10,8+8, "96 Zum: D-10,8+5,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 7:04 pm    

If you get the Lemay mod, it describes what you need to do pretty clearly. If you are really careful, you can do it. You need to go to Radio Shack and get some de-soldering tape. You don't need to buy a bulb type de-soldering tool.The tape will work fine. Use a low watt iron and be careful and check your work under a magnafier glass and make sure you don't short out anything. Handle the chips with care. Be sure to use the proper solder also. If you short out anything, there is a great possiblity of blowing the speaker, so take extra care with everything. On the 500, there are several wires you have to unplug to take the amp apart. Number these and mark for orientation with a black marker or you might get them turned around or plugged to the wrong part.They are made with one edge of the plastic end squared off and the other end a (V) shape. Be sure to get the large capacitors with the positive and negative terminals in properly. Good luck. I was pleased with the sound of mine.
Jake Doell

Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 11:53 pm    

Having a friend with needle nose pliers
gently putting a bit of pressure and pulling
on the components being de-soldered sure
helps.Carefully studying the schematics that
come with the kit and pre-locating all the components to be swapped also makes the job easier.
Jake Doell in Vancouver
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 5:40 am    

Tim,
Our technicians here in the Service Department will be glad to install a Peavey mod kit for you, or you can purchase the kit from us here at the factory. Check out our mod kit at www.peavey.com/media/pdf/misc/s500instructions.pdf

It should take about an hour for us to install the kit for you. If you need further information, you may contact me toll free at 1-877-732-8391. I'll be glad to discuss this with you. No one will know you amp circuit better than the ones who designed it.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 7:33 am    

I installed the Peavey kit in my Nashville 400 last week, I had to call the free-phone number once to talk with a guy (not Mike) who put me straight on a couple of things.

The way I started out was to highlight the drawing showing where the components were to be fitted, then mark with a small felt-tip pen at the side of the part being unsoldered.
Not being an "electronics" kind of a guy, I took a little longer than most of the guys here, it took me about 3 -4 hours over a period of a couple of days. The local amp repairman stood back aghast when I told him that all I used was a small A C soldering gun and didn`t know that most of these guys are "strap-grounded" while working on such delicate parts.

The sound of the amp I like--- this weeks playing job will be the test.

Bob Mainwaring Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
Dave Frye

Atwater, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 7:43 am    

What ever you do, get it done. It will make all the difference in the world in your amp! I had it done to my Nash 400 and now I don,t need a new one. Ole Dave Frye