| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keith Hilton, HELP.
Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 10:01 am    

Keith
I have just bought one of your pedals from Herbie Wallace and now I know what my old steel really sounds like, the pedal is fantastic, I'm already on the the phone to all my Peddly mates obout it. My problem is living in England I have to use a step down transformer from 240v to 110v, which I have got but it's a big 'un. I already have a suitable 12+/- psu design suitable to run the pedal the only thing I need to know is, what sort of current does the pedal draw. The other thing is what is the pre-set under the base plate for? A massive thank you to Herbie for bringing this over for me along with the other things I ordered,a real Gentleman.
Thanks in advance Keith
Dave
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 2:18 pm    

Dave, thanks for the kind words about our pedal. I knew Herby was in England doing the Steel Guitar Show over there. Let me try and answer your question. I am aware that England has 240 volt service, where we in the U.S.A have 120 volt service. When I send a 240 to 120 transformer to England, I send a 50 watt one. That is the smallest watt size I can buy easily. That is actually a lot more watts than the pedal needs. The pedal draws about 50 to 60 mili-amps, which isn't much current at all. They sell 240 to 120 transformers rated in "watts". The bigger the watts, the larger the transformer. Here is how to relate the power my pedal needs, in terms of watts. Watts=VoltsXAmps. Therefore Watts=120volts times .06. When you multiply you get 7.2 watts. That is what my pedal is pulling in power, in watts. By the way, your electricity is 50 HZ and in the United States it is 60 HZ. The electronics in my pedal will work on either 50 or 60 HZ. The control under the cover is a tone control. Turning it counter clockwise will take off highs. I advise leaving it all the way clockwise, and getting the tone you want from your effect unit, or amp.
It would be best not to try and re-wire your adapter to anything inside the pedal. It would be OK to just plug the adapter, that came with the pedal, into a 240 to 120 converter. The minimum requirement for the converter would be 7.5 watts, more watts is OK. You need to use the adapter that came with the pedal, because the pedal actually runs off of a dual polarity, which is (plus 12volts) (minus 12volts) and a (ground). You will be OK if you just plug in the adapter that came with the pedal to 120 volts. Naturally you wouldn't want to plug the adapter that came with the pedal into 240 volts.
Herby told me he was going to use the pedal on the show, then sell it to you. Again, thanks for the kind words about our product. I always feel honored when I learn someone is using our product. Let me say Thanks Dave! Keith Hilton

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 14 May 2001 at 03:33 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 2:27 pm    

So how did Herby power the pedal?
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 14 May 2001 2:40 pm    

Jim, that is a good question. I would suppose they had a large "watt" transformer at the Big Steel Convention in England. Then they run power strips from the large transformer. I'm sure lots of guys brought their own stuff to England. Seems more practical if the Show had one big converter, then run power strips. Anyway Herby might of took his own transformer, because he ask me what he needed to take some time back. I'll ask Herby and Scotty when they get back, if they took their own transformers, or if the Show had one big one.
Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 20 May 2001 12:46 am    

Dont know if anything here might relate to the question. But while living in England with my Session 500 which was bought over there, it had a three tap transformer built into it. I dont know if the North American counterpart is issued like this originaly or not.
Maybe a 120 tap could be run from that voltage source to an external socket on the amp for U.K. users??

Bob Mainwaring Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 27 May 2001 7:25 am    

I have also heard a lot fo great things about the Hilton pedals. I live in Norway so I would get the same problem if I wanted to buy one...
Is it right that the pedal comes with an external tranformer built to plug into US walls? (115 v primary and 12V sec 50-60 MillAmp.)
If so, I don't understand why one couldn't just use a eksternal transformer that has 230V primary and 12v sec. 50-60 Mill Amp.)

Have I got all this wrong, or could this be a way to avoid the 230v to 115v convertion.....

------------------
Thanks SveinungL - Norway
----------------
Kentucky Riders

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2001 7:56 am    

Radio Shack sells the transformers for about $l9.00 to $38.00. These are made specifically for this market.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 27 May 2001 8:11 am    

Sveinungl,yes, my pedal is designed for power in the United States 115V. The power supply is permanently attached to the pedal.
If it were not attached to the pedal, and you could plug in a power supply, a 230-12Volt supply would work, if it had 3 outputs. It would require these 3 outputs: a plus 12V,minus 12V and a ground. The minus 12 and the ground are "not" the same. Many people in Europe use my pedal. All of them use a small transformer to convert 230V to 115V, so my wall wart just plugs in. Fred Murphy is correct. If you can't find a transformer in your country, I sell them.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 27 May 2001 at 09:13 AM.]

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 27 May 2001 9:44 am    

I'm using this pedal for a year now with a OUTPUT VOLTAGECONTROLL radioshack adapter (220V) without any problems,I even built the adapter in my rack, , no hum at all! JJ

------------------

STEELDAYS 2002 March 22 & 23
my web-site
my bands CODand TSC

SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 27 May 2001 2:06 pm    

OK. Good to hear that it works fine in Europe.
I'll start saving......

------------------
Thanks SveinungL - Norway
----------------
Kentucky Riders