| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  help! sudden loss of volume
Ky Ian

Post  Posted 21 May 2001 3:54 pm    

Anyone ever experience a loss in volume? I've got a Derby S10 with a George Lo's E66. All the leads are in good shape. I've ruled out the volume pedal and chords. The guitar has a practice level volume with a Fender Deluxe Reverb on 10.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 May 2001 4:22 pm    

First, check the speaker wires! Next, plug a chord into the amp, and just touch the tip of the plug on the other end. This should give you a VERY loud hum, even with the volume on 4 or 5. Is this a tube amp? LOOK at the tubes to make sure they're all lit up, and then wiggle them a little in their sockets to make sure they're not loose.
Ky Ian

Post  Posted 22 May 2001 2:20 pm    

I should have mentioned that I checked the amp with my guitar and it performs normally. So the problem is definitely somewhere in the steel, thanks though...
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 May 2001 2:30 am    

Go back and double check to make sure it is the guitar. Connect a guitar cord direct from the guitar to the amp. If that is OK, check the jack on the guitar. Does the Derby have a tone control, like the Emmons or is it just pickup to the jack? If it has a tone control, check the switch for that. Double check the wiring from the pickup to the jack. Sometimes wires run near moving metal parts and the wiring insulation could have been worn through or nicked and is grounding out. Move (wiggle) the wires and see if it makes a difference.

If nothing changes, the next step is to remove the pickup so you can check the wiring coming fromt he pickup. Pickup failures are rare so double and triplecheck everything.
Ky Ian

Post  Posted 23 May 2001 8:25 am    

Thanks for the info. All the leads are in good condition, and the wiring is pristine. I'm having my repairman check it out, but with everything in such good shape I'm thinking something is wrong in the pickup.
SJ Russell

WACO,TEXAS US
Post  Posted 24 May 2001 9:15 am    

I had a steel drive me nuts because I suspected everything else except the P/U. I had to turn the volu,me to seven just to hear it.