| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EQ for steel?
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 19 May 2001 8:59 am    

Just picked up a Profex II loaded with Jeff Newman's steel settings. Looking at the tone settings, I see that many of them boost the bottom and top ends and suck out frequencies around 750-800 Hz. Maybe this is the frequency that my ears interpret as 'hard and middley' when going 'flat' into a mixer or through other pre-amps. Has anyone found a setting on the POD 2 that'll do this? I only need ONE good steel setting (and then add delay or chorus), and if I can find it on my POD, I could sell the Profex!
Thanks.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 20 May 2001 4:13 am    

Tony,
When I have trouble achieving a satisfactory tone during recording, I use a Boss GE7 foot pedal graphic equaliser. I find this is all I need to make it sound like a steel.
Richard.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2001 7:48 am    

Hello Tony,
Let me know if I can be of assistance to you with the Peavey Profex II unit. I recommend that you adjust the frequency that you wish with either the 4 band parametric or the 5 band equalizer in the Profex II.

I can be reached toll free in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Consumer Information Services
Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 21 May 2001 12:54 pm    

The Profex is very versatile, but this also means it can take some work to find "that" tone. I suggest using 1 EQ to subractively remove unwanted frequencies (keeping the other bands flat), and then use a second EQ to color it further as you add the reverb and delay. Careful of the volume levels as you move along the string of effects, as this is where some distortion can pop up.

The "Newman" presets are undoubtedly used by many, but with my guitar and tone preferences they were all unsuitable. A few days of intense experimentation got me on the track to a couple of patches that I have used for the past few years, with little variation. The payoff is the tone I want whether on big stage or small, or right into a recording console from the ProfexII.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 21 May 2001 3:27 pm    

I use a dual 15 band EQ unit AFTER my Profex II. I don't need to tweak the Profex II.
Works great.
Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 22 May 2001 7:38 am    

The best steel settings I have found on my Pod are the Deluxe reverb,Modern class A and the Fender Tweed Bassman. I use it in manual mode and keep the drive control really low. The Twin reverb setting sounds too thin for me. You can't dump midrange with the Pod tone controls, but I don't find that it's much of an issue.If you were plugging into a Fender Deluxe, you wouldn't be able to do that anyway. Kind of like trying to make your Fender Twin sound like a Peavey. I wanted to mention too that I use my Pod as a front end for my Vegas 400 and Session 500, so I can keep the great Peavey sound and also have a bunch of Fender's n Marshall's at my fingertips.A very versatile rig.

[This message was edited by Glenn Austin on 22 May 2001 at 08:51 AM.]