| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wireless
David Deratany

Cape Cod Massachusetts
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 9:32 am    

I am looking to learn about wireless equipment for guitar: What's useful, what's not; what I should expect to spend; what brands/models to consider or pehaps avoid.

dderat@yahoo.com
David Deratany

Cape Cod Massachusetts
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 12:27 pm    

Lead guitar, of course. It don't make much
sense if you're sitting down and not going
anywhere.
Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 6:53 pm    

I have one word for ya...........NADY.
Blane Sanders

York,Co. Pa.
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 8:20 pm    

Make sure you get a "True Diversity", that's the one with two antanas on the reciever. You can easily get dead spots with the single antana models. You should also check with any other band members who are useing a wireless system, to be sure you get one with a different channel than what they are useing. If that makes sense?
David Deratany

Cape Cod Massachusetts
Post  Posted 3 May 2001 6:03 am    

I've just looked at NADY, URR-10, which while it lists for $349, can be had for $200. Seems to be quite nice and not a lot of money. Then, looked at Samson, which has a couple where the sender plugs right into the guitar (more conveinent than clipping onto belt or strap, maybe), one for Fender types, and one for Les Paul types, but the receiver is not a rackmount. I've contacted them to see if the transmitter can be crossed with one of their rack mount recivers. Then there is a Shure unit TGD or something like that, which works with a half rack (hmm, what to do with that other half - a tuner, perhaps- which one, he asks).

Of course, prettiness and cost considerations, for me, do not come before usefulness and quality of sound, and it is in these areas where I need the most guidance.

While it might seem that this post, being for lead guitar, is off subject a bit, it can be useful for dobro - close enough to steel?
Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 3 May 2001 12:05 pm    

Close enough for me- I'm building two that will be worn like a Melobar and I'm wondering which way the output jack should be oriented for optimum antenna performance. Right now I'm thinking straight out on the right end of the guitar. Any suggestions?

------------------
T. Sage Harmos
Musical Instruments

David Deratany

Cape Cod Massachusetts
Post  Posted 4 May 2001 9:30 am    

A friend who is in the technical/electronics end of professional recording doesn't have much good to say about wireless, in that they are quirky, may work well for a long time and fail at the worst possible moment, or if a neon sign gets switched on, or if the ice machine is plugged into a dimmer panel...you get the idea.

That said, he suggested I look into Vega and Lectrosonics stuff, and some of the better Sennheiser stuff.